16) More Eggs, Please

Soon, eggs are scrambled and eaten. Toast, or what we call toast, is passed around with real marmalade from Marla's granny. Children, I don't know yet, and their parents are licking their fingers and smacking their lips. There is nothing like sharing food to make you fast friends, and soon introductions are made all around. This new group is just like us, sick and tired and hungry, but decent, good people.

We discuss that the Pilot Mountain refugees actually saw and talked to the Canadians in Pilot Mountain.

"They are real," says Grandmother Matilda. "They showed us the food and their id's, and they don't talk like us. They ain't from here. Yankees maybe, but we heard most of the Yankees is gone."

"And you're sure? They're real?" I ask.

"Uniforms and all," says Leonard. "Real military operation. Said they's gonna take you to the coast. Your people is there."

"Coast," says Torin "that make sense."

"Don't know if that parts true," says Granny Matilda. "We heard there is some major fighting going on there."

"One Nation," I ask.

"No, Russians. Ain't that the shit?" says one of the other men. "They're trying to land. To help us. Ha," he says with a mouth load of sarcasm. "We heard, they ain't made it yet. Our navy is holding them off."

"So, probably anyone coming to help, or rescue a prince, is having a hard time," Steven says. "That makes complete sense, Prince Torin. It is what has been holding them up. Why they've not come for you before now."

Torin smiles. "Yes, it makes sense."

Can we trust that the Canadians are who they say they are? I don't say my thoughts out loud because Torin looks so damn happy. I understand. If I could go home and back to some kind of normal, I would be smiling ear to ear too.

After the talk of the future rescue of a prince, decisions are made. The Pilot Mountain refugees join the caravan heading towards Asheville. I am glad about this because with their help and gun power, they might actually make it.

Prince Torin and his now smaller entourage will head towards Pilot. Clay decides that Hellman won't be needed and relieves her of her duty. He makes a good point that the operation will only be slowed down by injured soldiers and babies, so Steven and Cindy Lou and Baby Christopher are going with the caravan too. Only Marla and Tommy are going with Clay and Torin. I can't believe it. Though they are good soldiers, I can't believe Steven would agree to be separated from Tommy again. And Cindy? Well Cindy doesn't listen to anyone.

"In and out," says Clay to Torin. "We'll go, check it out. Make sure it is safe before we turn you over," says Clay like he is talking about some type of prisoner exchange. "Then, we'll rejoin the caravan."

It does not seem safe to me, but nobody asks me. I think everyone is excited about getting the hell out of here. We all are weary of this bleak world, anywhere is better than this. Hope springs eternal, and hope looks like a rescued prince and a promise of something more to eat.

I watch as supplies are loaded, chickens are wrangled, and playing children are herded towards waiting vehicles.

Gus shakes me out of my numb stare with, "You ready?"

I nod and Gus and I drive away in the opposite direction. I turn back and look back over my shoulder. No one seems to notice we are leaving, not even my prince, and that makes me sad.

And then, I catch a glimpse of a small hand in the air. It is Millicent. She waves goodbye. I wave back until I can see her no more. I say a silent prayer that she and the other children are safe for now.