15) We Want Your Prince

I glance back towards the house I just came from and notice no movement inside. I can only hope Torin has heard the commotion and is hiding.

Gus and I immediately step out of the jeep and get to a defensive position behind it. People are scurrying around, dropping their breakfast, shouting, running, and pulling out any weapon they possess. I notice a handful of young teenagers standing behind the barn wielding pots and pans. One has a pair of garden shears. Adults herd children to the house. I don't see the army medics anywhere. Are they even still here? Did they leave already?

We wait holding our breath as a convoy of vehicles approach. I count thirteen vehicles. Where did they find that much gas? They must be One Nation, they are the only ones with resources. They are organized too, they surround our buildings in a semi circle. I can see women and children in some of the vehicles. Maybe, this is just more refugees? They can join the convoy to Asheville. Oh but wait, it looks like there are as many men with them. Some of the men and the women too, I notice, have weapons. The men are mostly dressed in camouflage. I think I recognize them, but I am not sure until their leader steps out of the largest vehicle. He steps out and yells, "We know he is here. Send him out. Prince Torin. Come out. Immediately, and no one gets hurt."

And just to show they mean business, he makes a hand motion, and armed men and women exit every vehicle with their weapons drawn.

Time passes for at least thirty seconds and then I hear it. Clapping, someone is clapping.

It is Cindy Lou minus Christopher on her hip. She walks out from under the porch.

I frantically wave my hands from my hiding spot to signal to Cindy to run, quick, back inside the house. She is going to get herself killed and start a gunfight that will most certainly end in dead teenagers clutching pot and pan weapons.

As always, I forget that Cindy has good instincts, and she is quite the actor. She walks towards the leader and says, "Unbelievable. I know you. You and your men woke my baby up the other night. Shame on you."

And, as if he is a little ashamed, the leader drops his head, "Sorry 'bout that ma'am."

"You should be," says Cindy Lou crossing her arms in disgust. "And you are too loud now too."

As if he remembers why he came, the leader straightens and says loudly. "Sorry ma'am, but we are here for the prince."

"Why?" asks Cindy.

"Reward. A truckload of food." He hangs his head again. "My people are starving."

Cindy looks like she is disgusted. "And you think we would give up our prince for a truckload of food? No way, mister. He is our prince. He is our leader. And besides, we don't have the prince. He is not here."

"I believe he might be. We'll search now." Leader motions for his men to come forward.

And just when I think Cindy Lou's luck might be running out, the squeaky front door of the house opens and Prince Torin steps out.

"I am Prince Torin," he says. "Please lower your weapons, someone may get hurt. We have children here." As if on cue, one by one, children come out of their hiding places. They soon surround Torin. He tries to shoo them inside, but Millicent is soon holding his good hand.

"Ok, I lied," says Cindy Lou. "But, you cannot have our prince. He is ours."

"We have food," says Torin. 'We will share."

Steven appears out of nowhere and adds. "Remember me? We met the other night. Remember? We invited you to come."

I step out from my hiding spot and even though I don't think it wise, my weapon is lowered. I repeat Steven's words, "You are welcome here."

"We got eggs," says Cindy Lou. "We got a million chickens. We freed them from the chicken plant yard. A million chickens and a million eggs."

The leader looks like he can't decide what to do, but we soon learn who the real boss is when an older grandmother steps out of the lead truck and says, "Good God Leonard, quit this macho bullshit. I, for one, want a damn egg."

And then the grandmother does a sweeping curtsey and addresses Torin, "Your majesty, your honor, sir I apologize on behalf of the citizens of the United States." She then turns to Leonard. "Leonard?"

Leonard reluctantly lowers his gun and shakes his head like he's been a bad dog. He remembers his manners, bows and says, "Apologies, Mr. Prince, sir. Majesty. Please forgive my rudeness."

"How you want your eggs?" asks Cindy the negotiator.