32| RegalBeliever (Part 1)

A story nobody knew

*After Regina drank the Potion to forget about Henry's birth mother*

"Madame Mayor?", Archie asked, being quite surprised to see her with the little boy again on his afternoon walk. "So... In the end, you decided to keep little Henry?", he smiled, holding Pongo back, who wanted to jump up on the woman.

Regina just tried to keep a straight face, smiling forcefully at the man, whilst tightening her grip on Henry's baby seat. "Yeah... His place is here. In Storybrook", she simply answered, sounding less arrogant than usual even with her facial expression turning quite repulsive when the dog licked her hand. "Arg.", she said disgusted, pulling her arm away before turning on her heels. "Good evening, Dr. Hopper.", she mentioned.

"To you too.", he smiled, knowing just by observing her how insecure Regina still was around the baby. "It was the right decision to keep him. It will also help people to see that the mayor does have a heart.", he said enthusiastically, causing Regina to roll her eyes before walking off, back to her black Mercedes and off to her mansion.

"Welcome back, Henry...", She chuckled, finally getting him out of his seat, still very careful because of how fragile he was. "I promise it's going to work better between us two this time.", she said, slowly bouncing with him through the empty big halls which seemed less intimidating when Henry was by her side.

Regina put away his car seat, before making her little munchkin a bottle of milk, leaving him in a swing that she had bought a couple of days ago. Even that little detail made the house look much more alive than before. She finally had found a new task, something that helped her to wake up in the morning again and again since being the mayor wasn't enough for a very long time now. She was simply lonely and in constant fear of her past.

Nightmares haunted her, not about what she had done, no. Nightmares about her childhood and teenage years. Her mother's choices about her life and body. Something she is going to do better with Henry. Something she will do better as a person... And maybe, just maybe her mother was the real reason why she couldn't give that little bundle away again. She needed to prove her and herself what real love meant.

When Henry's bottle was ready, she sat herself down on the big couch in front of the fireplace, watching how her son started to drink peacefully and with observing eyes.

"Wherever life is going to take us... I promise that I will always keep you safe, Henry.", She smiled, thinking about her father when saying his name. The only one who always was by her side, but also the one who failed her. Who didn't protect her from the cruel things her mother did.

Whilst Regina was looking down into his softly colored eyes of Henry, a lonely tear fell down on his chubby cheeks, rolling down his own before Regina was able to gently wipe it away.

*****
Storybrook's stables

"He is soft, isn't he?", Regina chuckled, laying Henry's small hand on top of the horse's nose. "Don't be shy. It likes you", she grinned. "Look at his ears....they tell you exactly what he thinks. And right now he is very curious to meet you.", she chuckled with the 10 months old baby in her arms, speaking softly and full of interest to gather Henry's attention. A sound she only allowed her son to hear.

"I didn't know that you had any knowledge about horses, Madame Mayor", a male voice said loudly, making her turn within an instant. Her face was completely blank, looking at the handsome man with dark blonde curls. Something she remembered all too good from the enchanted forest.

"And I didn't know that the Sheriff is playing stable boy whilst being on duty?", she countered quite arrogant.

"Well... I guess I am here for you. I got a call... That someone broke into the stables", he defended himself, finally coming closer before leaning casually against a door.