Twelve

JOY

"You ok?" My mom asked. I looked up from my phone at her in the doorway. "Mhm." I nodded my head.

"You not hungry?" She questioned. I shook my head. "Alright. You going to Neveahs house later on?" She asked and I nodded.

"I'll take you early If you want." She spoke. "Can you take me now?" I questioned. She nodded rubbing her belly.

I stood up and grabbed my overnight bag and I headed downstairs.

"Joy."

I turned around and seen Alani. "Hm?" I asked.

"Why you not staying with me?" She asked. "Im going with my friends. I'll stay and play with you tomorrow, okay?" I spoke.

She nodded. "Ok." She mumbled.

We headed out and she drove off. "is something bothering you? You don't eat as much anymore." She spoke and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Ive never eaten a lot." I spoke.

I usually just snack all day. I don't actually eat meals.

"Yeah but...you've been quiet lately and joy....you can tell me if you've start having sex-" I cut her off.

"Eww mama , no." I laughed.  She always does this.

"I'm just saying. I rather you tell me than go out and end up pregnant or with some disease." She shrugged.

"You were having sex at 16 or something?" I asked. "I mean...yeah." I shrugged.

"But.... wasn't daddy 19 or 18 when you was 16..." My voice trailed off and I side eyed her.

"He would've been 20 but no. I never said I was having sex with him..." She spoke and I gasped wth wide eyes.

I pulled out my phone and dialed my dads number.

"Joy-" she was cut off when he answered and I put it on speaker. "Wassup babygirl." He spoke.

"Daddy mama cheated on you when she was 16 , with some hick-" he cut me off.

"I didn't know ya mama when she was 16." He chuckled.

"But she was definitely fucking with a hick." He laughed. "Oh. Well then nevermind." I mumbled.

"Ok bye daddy." I hung up. "exactly. You always tryna tell something." My mom chuckled.

"But joy....are you gay?" She questioned. I shook my head no. "I dress like this cuz it's comfortable but I don't like girls." I explained.

I'm so sick of that question. "I seen them girl all on you." She spoke and I knew exactly what she was talking about.

I laughed a little.

"Mama they be following me. They really think I'm gay." I shook my head and chuckled.

She kept driving and soon she stopped at a gas station. "Wanna get snacks?" She asked.

I nodded with a smile.

This is why she's my favorite.

Just kidding, I don't have favorites but I love my dad...

But he does the yelling, my mom doesn't.

Alani

The small girl sat there and cried her little heart out as the boys and girls went through her backpack. She couldn't do nothing about it.

"Stop." Alani begged whilst crying. "Shut up. You cry ugly." The white boy sent a kick to her side.

She cried harder as his sister, Bridget pinned her down. All she wanted right now was for her daddy to come save her. Or anyone.

Alani had always been bullied because she was on the darker side and she went to a predominantly white elementary school. She was also a little heavier for her age.

She never told anyone about it cuz she was scared of what they would do to her.

Only Kayden knew about it and she begged him not to tell anyone. They were only 7 and because he didn't wanna break his sister's trust , he never told anyone.

Alani was just like her mother. Sweet , kind hearted and soft spoken. She was never aggressive or rude. She was so peaceful and happy.

He continued to go through her backpack in search of nothing particular.

Alani cried as she sat there. "HEY."

the white siblings jumped hearing Kaydens voice. He ran up to under the slide and sent a kick to the boy.

"GET OFF MY SISTER, PUNK." he swung at the boy Several times as the sister scrammed.

Justin ran as fast as he could when he got the Chance.

Lots of kids knew not to play with Kayden. But they loved to pick at his sister.

"You okay?" He hugged his crying sister as she sat up. She nodded as he began picking up her things and placing them in her backpack.

"I love you." He kissed her cheek. "Love you too." She replied lowly zipping up her bag.

"Come on , lani." He grabbed her hand before they climb from under the slide.

They walked towards the teacher since recess was about to be over.