Sixteen

JOY

Me and my dad stared at each other silently for a few seconds and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Yes?" I spoke.

"Why the fuck you looking at me like that?" He held the blunt in his hand. "Why are you smoking daddy?" I questioned.

"Cuz y'all stress me out." He mushed my forehead before walkig off. I sighed.

I wanna hit that blunt. I've been sober for almost a month now. The smell was strong too.

My parents never found out about us having sex. They assumed he said I was a waste of nut meaning my dad wasted his nut.

But I knew what he meant.

Anyways they found out we were sort of dating.

But they found out about the drugs and parties and I'm in rehab.

My mom was more torn up about it than my dad because my mom's mother was on drugs as she knew what they could do to you.

"AMIR. Why are you smoking in the house? Why are you even smoking? Go on the balcony." My mom fussed and I giggled.

He huffed walking to the balcony which was in the hallway of the 2nd floor.

I walked out there with him. "Go inside." He blew smoke out of his mouth.

"How'd you meet my mama?" I questioned. "See....we was at the club and she was all on a nigga. I was like chill shawty I got a girl and she ain't listen. And every since then she been let-" he was cut off.

"AMIR."

we both turned around and looked at my mom. "wha-" she cut him off. "That's not what happened. You didn't say you had a girlfriend, you lied. And you were on me. Don't be lying." She corrected.

"Mane whatever." He shook his head. "Come here joy." My mom spoke.

"Hm?" I questioned. "Get ready for school."

Alani

The young girl sat down at the lunch table alone.

She didn't eat at school because kids already picked on her for her weight.

She was afraid of going to recess because her brother was at home with the Flu.

She wished lunch would never end so she didn't have to go to recess.

She chewed at her nails as she looked around. Soon the teacher walked in meaning lunch was over.

Her class stood up and she slowly did as well whilst grabbing her backpack and tossing it on to her shoulder.

She began to walk in line with class with shaky hands and a pounding heart. She was so scared.

They reached the playground and she spoke to her teacher. "can I use the restroom?" Her voice made the teacher smile.

"Of course. Take a buddy." She spoke. Alani turned around and scanned the crowd.

Her eyes landed on Capri. Capri never talked. She was really quiet just like Alani.

She knew Capri wouldn't pick on her. Capri was black as well.

She walked towards Capri and spoke. "Can you be my bathroom buddy?" She asked. "Mhm." Capri nodded with a smile as she climbed off of the swings.

The two girls made their way into the building and to the restroom. Capri stood outside of the restroom while Alani went in.

Alani did her business before flushing and walking out of the stall. She seen Samantha, Justin's sister with her two friends.

"Kayden hurt my brother you stupid bitch." She yelled before grabbing Alani by her neck and banging her head against the bathroom stall.

Alani was caught of guard as she fell to the floor. The girls kicked at her as she screamed.

"You stupid nigger." She heard as she cried.

"Hey. Who you calling a nigger?" She heard as the girls stopped. "Your friend. What are you gonna do about it?" She questioned.

•••••••

Alani thought about how Samantha got beat up earlier by Capri. She felt good thinking about it.

But she felt bad knowing she's have to go to school again tomorrow without her brother.

She sat on the toilet seat with tears in her eyes. "I don't wanna do it." She cried as she stood up.

The girl in front of her was far too chubby , far too dark and ugly and her hair was ugly thick and nappy.

She took a step back from the mirror and let her insecurities sink in.

She cried as she stared.