Jabberjays

Katniss's POV

"Go to sleep Katniss. You didn't sleep last night," Peeta whispered. I could barely resist. Sleep came over me in a flash. I could feel the hot breath of a mutt on my neck. The mutt tackled me. I looked into its blue eyes. They were Prim's....

I jerked awake. Peeta was holding me. "Katniss, it's okay. It wasn't real." I finally calmed down. "Now you might want to look at the TV," Peeta whispered. A scream, my scream echoed through the arena. Gale and Prim ran into the woods yelling my name. The others were desperately trying to stop them. My mom's scream.

The camera zoomed in on Gale and Prim. A jabberjay was screaming. How did they do that? I thought. An arrow buried itself into the neck of the bird. Prim was crying. They ran back to the beach, but glass was blocking their way.

The jabberjays were attacking them screaming louder. Prim and Gale collapsed. Jay was trying to tell Prim it wasn't real, but she couldn't hear him. Nobody was there for Gale. "Prim...." I whispered.

Tears were running down my face. Peeta held on to me. After what seemed like forever, the jabberjays stopped. Jay held Prim in his arms. I felt slightly protective of Prim. Jay loved her. It was my job to protect Prim from boys. Especially boys who could be controlled by President Snow.