The Figure

Katniss's POV
We raced down to the control room. Haymitch pressed a few buttons, and a parachute floated toward Prim, Gale, Jay, Voltice, Statak, Maple, and Tyga. "What's the gift?" I asked. Peeta smiled,"Bread." "So, this is your area of expertise?" I said jokingly. "Yep," he said.

I smiled. We watched as they ate, and then went to sleep. I felt like I was violating their privacy. I mean we're seeing things that weren't meant to be shared with the public.

Maple and Tyga talked, and I didn't really listen until they started talking about Jay. "We better keep an eye on Jay," Maple whispered. "Does Prim know about him?" Tyga asked. "No, and we better keep it that way. Jay loves her and she probably feels the same." "I'd hate to see the girl die," Tyga whispered. "What's going to happen when we reach the end and we're the only ones left?" Maple whispered. "Hopefully only one of us will be alive."

The door opened. "Hi Finnick," Haymitch said. "Hi. How's Tyga?" "He's fine," Haymitch replied. Finnick watched the screen. Finnick put his hand on my shoulder. I resisted the urge to push it off.

I could make out a figure in the shadows. "Look," I said pointing to the figure. "Oh, no," Peeta whispered. Another figure came out of the bushes pulled out something the shape of a knife, and went straight for the tributes.