Slammed Door

Katniss's POV

I leaned back in my chair. "So, Jay is gone, my sister has no pinky, and it doesn't seem like they will last much longer," I said with a sigh.

"Yep, first thing tomorrow we'll send them it. Everybody got that?" Everyone nodded. "Good, now get whatever rest you can, it's been a long day."

Peeta and I started walking to bed, and Finnick walked beside us. "I-" he was interrupted by animal-like noises coming from the next turn.

"Avox?" Peeta whispered. "Maybe.. could be anything though," Finnick replied.

He started to slink toward the sound, and Peeta and I followed.

The sight made my stomach clench. Two red-headed Avoxes were beings dragged down the hall. They couldn't speak words, only make horrible shrieks. I could recognize them, Lavinia and Darius.

"No!" I whispered. I wanted to save them, to run out there, but my feet wouldn't move as they were dragged toward us.

The awful screams continued as the men walked past the hall we were in. Lavinia locked eyes with me. Her eyes were pleading. I felt like dying as I let them get dragged away.

The word coward echoed in my mind. Why didn't I try to save them? It was too late. The door slammed.

I'm really, really sorry about not updating!!