Avox Girl

Peeta's POV

I held Katniss tightly.I didn't want to let her go. "Peeta, Jay likes maybe even loves Prim. What if he kills her?" she whispered. "If Jay truly loves her he'll fight President Snow as hard and as long as he can... even if it kills him," I stared into her eyes as I said this.

There was something chilling about those words I shook it off. "I wish we were in the games instead. Prim and Gale would be safe," Katniss moaned. What would have happened if we were in the games?

"Don't remember the plan? We'll get her out of there, I promise." "It's the Hunger Games Peeta, anything could happen!" "Katniss, I will make sure Prim gets out of there if it's the last thing I do."

I kissed her on the lips. I was rewarded with another and another. I thought of our first games. I know now that it was just an act. All of it. It kept us alive, but still. This was natural and private.

I kissed Katniss for a long time. I felt like I was in a dream. I've had a crush on Katniss ever since I was little and now she's in my arms.

We just sat there. We heard someone knock on the door. "Up, up, up. It's time to eat dinner," an all too familiar voice chirped. "Coming Effie," I yelled.

"Come on Katniss, get up. The moment is ruined." "Ugh, okay," she groaned. We slowly made our way to the table. We sat down. "Hello, Peeta, Katniss. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. How has your first year as a mentor been?" Effie asked. "Pretty good," I replied as I helped myself to a serving of beef and mashed potatoes.

"Just pretty good?" Effie raised her eyebrow. "Well there is just a tiny bit of stress when you have to watch your sister nearly get killed by career tributes and you can't do anything ," Katniss said sarcastically. Effie pursed her lips.

Haymitch gave Katniss a warning look. "I like the job, I mean you have a little control. You can send them sponsor gifts," I said before it got too awkward. "Yes," Effie said with a hint of disgust.

Katniss leaned over,"The avox girl is still watching me," she whispered."I like to think she is protecting you," I whispered back. "I hope you're right." The red headed girl was staring at us. She poured more water into our cups and gave Katniss a small smile. She smiled at me too. I dug into my food even though my stomach was in knots. Katniss ate too.

The only sound was the clinking of forks and spoons. Nobody spoke until the end of dinner. "Come on Katniss, Peeta, we're going to watch the Hunger Games," Haymitch sounded like he was giving the death penalty.