Chapter 12: Whispers

She was too stunned to speak.

You stop in your tracks, doing a double take before sputtering an answer.

"Excuse me?"

he looks at you in the eyes as he repeats what he said.

"I'm sorry. I am sorry I fucked shit up."

seeing him like that, it made you think.

The truth will reveal itself, and what kind of friend would let a relationship put a strain on their own friendship.

You sigh and stand up in front of him, running your hands up and down from the tippy tops of his shoulders down the expanse of his back.

It was human nature to mimic other peoples demeanour, and just being around him made you feel a little weak- but who said being weak sometimes is bad?

Being swept up in the moment is easy, and right now that is what's happening- but it really feels nice to touch him without your mind pushing you away.

"I'm sorry. It's just, I don't know- I feel played. I mean I just spent years thinking that I was never going to act on my feelings, and then I did but it felt wrong. I mean, it didn't feel wrong but it didn't feel rights- since I thought I was sleeping with somebody else's boyfriend-"

you rub at his shoulders until he looks up at you.

"No. This shit was my fault, and it's my fuckin' fault that you felt like that. I coulda prevented it, but I didn't I was just... happy, that you were here."

it warms your heart.

His words, they sound genuine, it comforted you- the frustration and the betrayal of being practically blindfolded by lies, was slowly dispersing like a cloud of fog.

Miscommunications can be a bitch, kids!

The tender moments between you two were rare, but they felt as though they lasted a century.

You cup his face, holding him close. He doesn't push you away nor does he react, he lets you do as you please before you speak.

"I want to be with you."

you confess to yourself, and you don't dare look at his expression in fear of losing your train of thought.

"You don't have to say anything, I really- really don't want you too. We should focus on fixing your romance problems before anything."

it wouldn't exactly do wonders for his reputation if he was perceived as the kind of man to date 2 women at the same time.
"Mhm." he nods, before pushing his face into the natural softness of your body until wrapping his arms around your waist while you rub circles on his back.
"love you." he whispers. You wish you would have recorded it, such a shame. Suddenly, a ping draws your attention to your phone.

Mina: Come out and drink with us tmr.

You: What's in it for me?

Mina: Friendship and bonding time

You: Not convinced

Mina: And free drinks?

You: You have my attention. Where?

Mina: It's the bar at the hotel we have extra day passes.

You sigh, stuffing the hunk of plastic and metal into your pocket again. You motion towards the door and he follows you downstairs, sitting with you on the couch while you turn on the TV again.
"That was something." he chuckles, holding you in a bundle of blankets and variety of fluffy fabrics. 

Sure, being around him was still a little weird- but you were thankful it was even a fraction of the norm you used to have with him. 

You begin to yawn, looking at the clock it was almost midnight. 

Shouldn't he be in bed? 

He was a hero. 

However what slipped you mind was the fact that he was injured, and he was NOT supposed to be doing work.

"Aren't you supposed to be like... asleep? I thought your bedtime was 9 or something." 

you snort and he groans.

"Don't remind me." 

you laugh and look at the remains of his eyeliner on the corners of his eyes. 

He has been going to work. 

You begin to worry, what if something happens to him?

"Who gave you the OK to go to work?" 

he shrugs and you become even more panicked, he looks at you with nonchalance

"I don't need any of that. Not like my damn agency will let me off the damn hook for a month at least." 

he groans, adjusting his position

"All I get to do the fuckin' day is lame ass patrols and the occasional damsel in distress." 

he scoffs and, you begin to put the pieces together.

"Why didn't you check in with me! Or at least talk to me before you left." 

personal and work life should never mix, so no matter the circumstance he should have talked to you.

"Well that's cuz you're asleep when i leave for work, Dozey." 

he proudly presents his wolfy grin which grows even wider when his eyes befall your unimpressed expression.

"I could lose a job I don't even have yet." 

you sigh, shaking your head with a joking smile over your lips.

"I am glad you aren't doing anything dangerous though." 

he nods, turning back to the TV. You sigh, listening to his breathing. 

You smile, 'this must be the light at the end of the tunnel!'. 

Wrong again! 

Turns out the one with those day passes was no other than the devil incarnated herself. 

You wanted to throw yourself into the pool and stay there for a while. 

But unfortunately that would have to wait. 

So you put on a bright, brave, smile. 

You toy with the small umbrella that came with the drink and kick yourself for not pressing Mina further. 

Of course there had to be a catch, because whatever force of the universe was toying with you- was one hell of a sadist. 

That was well established at this point. 

Asui sat beside you in one of the matching beach chairs, talking about recent work and gossip she happend to over hear. 

It was refreshing to be out of the house and in the sun, seated on a VIP deck that branched off the hotel just above the hotel pier. 

You could probably jump off and and in the pool-

Thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you did maybe leave a comment! I respond to all of them at some point <3