Chapter 21: Judge & jury

All eyes were on you, now. The room was wide, and loud. 

Though there were no more than 5 feet apart from your booth, and the seat Makaiyla sat in, it felt like an eon. 

To the public, you really did look like some sort of homewrecker. 

Which explains the room full of soul-crushing, resolve-crumbling, confidence-destroying stares.

 That is when the judge calls the trial to begin. 

You watch as Makaiyla's attorneys whisper something into her ear. 

You don't care for what it was, as you were far too busy looking at the woman who was seemingly in her late 40s to early 50s, glaring at Katsuki. 

You didn't know who she was, yet she seemed like the biggest threat so far. 

You sit patiently, watching as the attorney speaks to the jury and judge, presenting the contract and underlining the parts where it states adultery is not permitted. 

That's when something catches your eye, at the tippy top of the damning piece of paper. 

It only states how signing a marriage certificate solidifies the agreement. 

But since the both of them were very much not, married. 

It makes the contract void, no? 

So you lean in to speak to one of the attorneys and point out the part at the top. 

Your attorney nods, and you speak with Katsuki. 

"Have you proposed to Makaiyla?" 

you whisper, and he shakes his head with a grimace. 

You nod. 

If he hasn't even proposed, how the hell would he have signed a marriage certificate? 

That's when the judge gives your attorney a turn to speak. 

They underline the part where it says marriage certificate. 

The jury looks around the room, looking for who to believe, let alone who to side with. 

The attorneys from the other side call you to the side and start rapid-firing questions. 

You answer honestly and quickly trying to keep up. 

"Did you, miss L/N commit adultery with mister Bakugou Katsuki?"

 you think on it for a moment 'Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a person who is not his/her spouse.' the answer is no. 

"No." 

the attorney nods, pacing in front of you, back and forth. 

"Did you, sleep with mister Bakugou Katsuki?" 

"Yes." 

the attorney looks at the judge, and both the judge and jury look at you confused. 

"Then you did commit adultery?" 

"No, since either me or Katsuki would have to be married for it to be considered adultery," 

you say without a beat. 

You remember your attorney telling you the definition of adultery and infidelity, but both claims would be void since one of you would have to be married

"Then miss L/N, you committed infidelity, which is still a moral crime." 

the answer is again no. 

Infidelity; is the action or state of being unfaithful to a spouse or other sexual partner.