Chapter 3: Munity in the Mist

Hubert: The fog seems to be getting thicker the deeper we go.

Edelgard: So it seems. And it's rather strange... This time of year isn't known for fog.

The students trek along the path, along with a much older woman of the Knights of Seiros. Catherine, wielder of the Thunderbrand Hero's Relic. An exceptional swords-woman and regarded as one of the strongest knights, only second to Nanu, her captain.

Hubert: Though I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky to have Catherine with us. The mighty wielder of Thunderbrand.

Catherine: Heheh. Gonna have to tell that one to the Captain.

Byleth: Thunderbrand?

Catherine: You don't know about it? That's what my sword is called. It's a Hero's Relic.

Byleth: Hero's Relic...?

Edelgard: Hero's Relics are Special weapons that can only be wielded by a person who bears its corresponding Crest. However, some Crests do not have Relics, and some Relics do not have Crests. Not anymore at least.

Catherine: That's right. I bear the Crest of Charon, so that means I'm able to wield Thunderbrand without repercussions.

Byleth: What happens if someone without a Creat wields a Relic?

Catherine: Well, that would mean—

Solider: Lady Catherine! The enemy has been spotted! They are using the fog to conceal themselves!

Catherine: This conversation will have to wait. I wasn't expecting to actually fight, but I guess we have no choice! Professor, get your students ready for battle!

Byleth: Everyone, prepare yourselves! The enemy is advancing on our location!

With the call, everyone starts getting their weapons ready.

Catherine: The enemy is using the fog for cover! They could be trying to surround us, but they won't have enough troops to form a tight circle! Watch your backs and be cautious all the same though!

Alice: This fog... It doesn't feel natural.

Hubert: So you've noticed it too, Alice? I thought as much.

Byleth: If that is the case, then we must find them and eliminate them. Watch yourselves, and stay together to better cover your allies!

Students: Yes, Professor!

And so, using appropriate caution, the students with Byleth leading them, advance. And just as Catherine said, the militia men were emerging from the fog to attack. Hubert just narrowly avoided an arrow.

Hubert: We have Archers in the forests as well...!

Shez: I got em!

Shez charges ahead into the forested area, seeking and destroying the archer that had fired only to be attacked by a fighter with an axe. But she handled him pretty quickly as well.

Byleth: Are you alright in there, Shez?!

Shez: I'm fine! Just got jumped is all!

Byleth: Hoshi, Linhardt, and Caspar, head to where Shez is and provide her with backup!

Hoshi: Okay, got it!

Byleth: Yoshi and Bernadetta, head to the left with Dorothea. Edelgard, Hubert, and Alice will stick with me!

Yoshi: What about Catherine?!

While the class moved more slowly, Catherine was fighting off plenty of enemies on her own with great success.