Chapter 11: A Storm is Approaching

The year is Imperial Year 1181. The school year had wrapped up earlier in the year, with Byleth remaining a professor of the Officer's Academy at Garreg Mach Monastery. Dimitri, now the King of the Holy Kingdom of Faergheus, is making steady reforms in his Kingdom, and slowly learning the truth behind the Tragedy of Duscur. Claude, now the Lead Noble of the Leicester Alliance, wishes to break down Fódlan's isolationist ideals with the rest of the world, first starting with Almyra. And with help from a mysterious sponsor, his efforts are going swimmingly. And lastly, Edelgard, the Emperor of the Adrestian Empire, prepares to declare war against the Central Church of Seiros. However, before she could, she receives a report from her loyal retainer, Hubert, the newest Marquis Vestra.

Hubert: Your Majesty. I have a report for you regarding those who slither in the dark.

Edelgard: I'm listening.

Hubert: It would seem our initial suspicions about a certain someone were correct.

Edelgard: I see...

Hubert: Shall I deal with her?

Edelgard: No. I will speak to her myself. Summon her to the Palace, and inform Shez about this as well. I want her to join me.

Hubert: At once, Your Majesty.

With a bow, Hubert leaves as Edelgard stares in the sky.

Edelgard: To ensure peace... This must be done...

———

Alice: You summoned me?

Edelgard: I did. Thank you for coming, Alice.

The three ladies met on one of the balconies of the Palace, overlooking Enbarr and under the starry sky.

Edelgard: Alice. It has come to my attention that you are with those who slither. You are an Argarthan. Is that correct?

Alice: ...

Shez: Edelgard? What are you saying?! There's no way—!

Alice: That's correct. I was born Argarthan. But I have no connection to them aside from my birth. Not anymore.

Shez: What?!

Edelgard: Alice... I am truly sorry.

Alice: Sorry? For what?

Edelgard: In one more year, I plan to wage war against the Central Church. Rhea must be deposed of her power. And after that, I will destroy Argarthan civilization.

Alice: ...I get it. So you're gonna kill me. Even after I helped you in the academy? Even after I helped you regain your power? Did those mean nothing to you?

Edelgard: I am grateful for your help. I truly am. But Fódlan cannot be at peace if your kind were to continue puppeteering from the shadows.

Alice: What happened to a society where one's birth is irrelevant? Sounds to me like you're going against what you said almost immediately. You know what that's called? Hypocrisy.

Edelgard: This brings me no joy to do, Alice. Not to you. But what you did for me was in the past. And to move on to the future, the past must be trampled underfoot. For the future of Fódlan, I must strike you down. Whether that be now, or later.

Alice: You know what? Fine. You can kill me. But if you do, don't be surprised when a storm passes and wipes out your entire Empire off the damn map.