17

"What you know bout guns lil man?" I leaned against the tree, watching Dimitri teach Daniel the same shit he taught me.

We were out in the clearin me and him usually go to fire off a couple rounds. Get some practice shots in. Or do more training. This poor boy, he finna get the workout of his life.

"They used to kill people." I chuckled a bit cuss that's the same answer I gave when he asked me that same question.

"No. People kill people, guns just help speed up the process." Dimitri took out his gun and shot at the beer bottles.

"Show off." He chuckled, side eyein me. 

"Before I show you how to use this, I need to know why you trynna live this lifestyle." I was actually curious why this kid was trynna do this type of shit too.

"My mama is sick, she got fired cuss of it."

"You just need money right?" I asked, bout to give this kid enough money to help get his shit straighten out.

"I wanna earn it. Ion want no handouts."

"You got workout clothes?"

{}

"Dimitri, you overreactin." I told him.

Me and Dimitri were out grocery shopping while my dad had Messiah for the week. I let him go over there when it's my dads birthday, that's the only thing he asks for every year.

"Am I though? Every time I bring the shit up you always run off somewhere or avoid it all together." I grabbed some milk and eggs.

"Grab the almond milk." I told him, going to grab some bread.

"See. You just did it again." I smacked my teeth, going to get the milk my self.

"Dimitri you not helpin at all." I sighed, going for the bread and i needed fruit snacks and apples.

"Can we talk bout this at home? Please?" I asked, needin him to be helpful.

"Whateva man." I smacked my teeth, goin to grab the rest of the shit that's on my list cuss once he get like this he useless.

After i finished grocery shopping, I drove to my house and put them up. Dimitri helpin me too, finally. We were doin it in uncomfortable silence though.

"You wanna talk now or later?" I asked him, pickin up the bags and puttin them up under my counter.

"Now you wanna talk."

"Drop the attitude and get what Eva you gotta say off yo chest. After that, the conversation is dead. Ion wanna hear no mo afta this." Grabbin my pack of cards, silver patron and some cups and chips, I sat down and poured us both a drink.

He sat down and I started shuffling the deck. Passin out 5 cards to him and 5 to me. Then flippin the top card over.

"You remember what I said to yo dad?" He asked, droppin a card.

"Mhm." How could I forget.

"I do see y'all as my family cuss I ain't neva had that. I been in an out of foster care and group homes damn near my whole life. You and Ssiah is my family." I sipped on the silver patron. Drawin a card and puttin one down. I needed an ace.

"I know. You my family too man. Me and Ssiah love you to death but that don't excuse how you been actin." After the dinner with my dad, he been actin weird, and I ain't used to the that.

"I'm not trynna make excuses for how I been actin. I was hoping you'd get the hint at the dinner."

"What exactly did you want me to get?" I asked. He placed his cards down.

"Tonk." Smackin my teeth, I grabbed the cards and flipped them over. Pouring us some more liquor.

"Shuffle."

"You so slow." I chuckled, going to get my speaker so I can play some music.

"Miguel? For real?" I chuckled, grabbin my cards and pourin us some more.

"What you wanna listen to then?" I handed him my iPod. He picked a song. It was musiq soul child. I laughed, drinkin the last of whatever is in my cup.

He got up and sat beside me, scootin my chair in front of him.

"What?" I asked, Lookin at him.

He rubbed the back of my hand, just Lookin at me. It was a different kinda look. Not his normal look that he usually give me. It was a different one. A love filled one.

"You ain't looked at me like this before." I told him, puttin my cards down.

"I have, you just ain't notice."