angel's oak

"The treasure lies at the foot of the angel's oak."

"Hello princesses", JJ whistles as soon as we enter the balcony. "Shouldn't you be on figure eight with your little group of polo players?", John B adds and turns from me to Sarah, "Have you broken up with Topper?" "We're just friends", Sarah explains calmly and I roll my eyes about John B's behavior and sit down next to Pope. "Oh, he's just a friend", John B continues, "You've got a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron. Same for you, Iz. Well, more like the wrong one." 

"Yeah, I think you have some female friends yourself", she finally snaps back. "I don't think you can judge who a wrong friend is or not", I mumble knowing that they would never understand it. But as I've always defended them in front of my parents or the kooks, I will defend Rafe's and my friendship in front of others as well. It's different but it's my decision. "You may think I'm dumb but I'm pretty sure to know the difference between a friend and a murderer who abuses his girlfriend", JJ replies looking at me seriously and I'm kind of dissapointed that he brought that topic back. Well, what did I expect? 

"Okay, what do you guys want?" "We're here for Pope", I explain trying to sound happy enough for the others to believe that JJ's words didn't hurt, that his presence doesn't hurt, "I overheard my parents, Rose and Rafe talking about the gold. They don't know where it is. We've still got chances to find it. But the cross is more important now and we've found the island room." Now everyone listens to us interestedly so we decide to drive back to the Cameron's to show them the map in the island room letting everyone be astonished.

"Denmark, you genius", Pope smiles widely, "Those are his drawings. He painted the whole room." „Yeah, the question is why. What does he want to tell us by that?" "It must be connected to the key, right?", JJ adds. "Yeah, but what?" "How did you know that it's hidden in here?", John B wonders. "We don't know. It's been like this when we entered the room earlier." "What?" "Okay, but who was it then?" "I don't know." 

"The freaks", Wheezie's voice is heard closely and she appears in front of us surprising us all. "Wheeze!" "Wait, what freaks?" "This sick woman and his minion. They appeared this morning and wanted to talk to Rafe." "Okay." "Wait, a blonde woman?" "Did she have crutches?" Wheezie nods. "Okay, what happened?" "She was looking for something and then Rafe told me to go upstairs but I didn't want to miss out on something so I eavesdropped on them. They were saying something about crossing the sand..-" "Great, a secret language", JJ sighs but Pope seems to understand. 

"The cross. The cross of santa domingo." "Yeah, exactly and they were talking about angels a lot." "Guys, Denmark's famous last words. The true treasure is hidden at the foot of the angel. We're looking for an angel. Look for an angel!" We all understand and storm to the wall to look for an angel when JJ tells us that he found something. "Guys, get here. Do you know what this tree is called?" "Angel's oak", Pope whispers astonished. "Wait." "That means the cross is hidden at the foot of the angel. It must be there. And they're probably there alreay. We need to get there!"

"Hey, I just want to make one thing clear so you don't freak out again and pick up a fight", Sarah says to John B behind me on our way to the oak, "I'm here for Pope, not because of you." "Yeah, same for me", I add looking at JJ who only shrugs. "Why should I care about it? It's not like you mean something to me." Is he being serious? He is the one who always came up to me emphasising that we are best friends. 

"Oh, just for Pope, not because of me? That's how it is? Why are you here talking to me then?" "I don't know why either." "Seriously?", John B hisses and I decide to defend myself in front of JJ. "Don't mean anything to you, huh?" "Exactly", JJ nods but Pope tells us to shut up. As we look through the bush, we know why. 

There are Rafe and the Limbreys looking for something talking about the cross. That woman is insane. "Fine. Whatever we find here, I get my share. I need a good basis to get away with my girl." Is he talking about me? "Great, honeymoon?", JJ snaps looking at me but I just roll my eyes. I don't know about anything.

As soon as they've left, Pope runs to the coffing although we try to stop him. If there is really a dead body in it, it would probably shock him. "Cecilia Tanney", he states looking at the bones, "Denmark's wife. He wasn't talking about the cross. He buried her at the foot of the angel." "The real treasure", I whisper understanding the meaning behind it. "His wife." Pope knees down and we all build a circle around him showing him our support as he's understanding what's been going on hundreds of years ago. 

As Sarah takes the ring that Cecilia got from Denmark, I instinctively remember that JJ's ring is in my car and I look at him sadly. Surprisingly, he's looking back and he doesn't look like he hates me. In respect of Pope's family and their story we close the coffin as best as possible and place flower on it before we finally bury her again.

"I know that we're at the right place, it just feels like-", Pope argues not understanding why we haven't found the cross yet when JJ interrupts him. "As if he overlooked something? Guys, get here." JJ tells us to step onto the van and shows us the whole and puts his hand into it after a discussion about who would do it. 

When he screams, we all get nervous and try to help him. "JJ, hey, we're here!", I say nervously laying my arms around his upper body to help him get his arm out but he laughs soon enough. "You asshole", Pope states. "Wait, something's in there for real." And finally, we find another information telling us to go to the church. A real treasure hunt.

"How deep is that?", I ask as soon as we realize that the tide has crossed our plan to drive back. "I don't know. It covers the street." The boys discuss the functions of the car and John B tries his best to drive the van through the water while we're literally praying for it to go well but the van strays from the road. "So what do we now?", we wonder when we left the van, our feet in the water. "I can take my dad's truck", Kie sighs. "Kie, are you sure?" "It can't get worse, right?" 

"No, they cautioned you already, Kie. They will send you to boarding school if they find out and they will. I'm going to get the truck. My parents would only send me back to New York", I tell her and she looks at me thankfully nodding. I'm much more close to being sent away and I can always calm my parents down if I spend time with Rafe. JJ and John B know what to do with the car so JJ goes with me and we quickly go back to the Carerra's home.