force of habit

"When it's time to party, we party hard."

When Kie and I get ready for the party in my room, she looks at me skeptically so I ask her what this is about. „JJ and you were flirting a lot today."

„Kie, I thought we're over that", I groan throwing my head into my neck. „I just.. Pope and I wondered if you're into JJ. I'm just worried that you get your heart broken."

Sometimes, I really wish I could just tell her that JJ and I are dating. But then, she would worry because of our rule. JJ and I have thought about every option, she wouldn't be happy with anything so we stuck to hiding.

„What if I liked JJ and he liked me, too?", I ask her instead because I am really curious to know about that. „Izzy, don't be stupid. JJ doesn't fall in love", she chuckles ligthly not knowing how much that could hurt. Immediately, I begin to wonder if she could be right. What if JJ wakes up someday and realizes that he doesn't even like me that much? Or if he finds someone else?

„You're right", I agree giving up arguing with her. „What about you and John B?" „Just friends."

„Hey, JJ said something earlier how he's been thrown into the friendzone by you. Did he flirt with you?" „He tried it but I made clear that there's no chance." So he did flirt with her. Maybe he still flirts with her? I mean, he called her hot. Kie is hot but I don't like hearing that out of his mouth. „They're our friends so stop worrying."

Kie smiles at me knowing me too well and takes a dress out of my closet. „Wear that. The boys are going to be all over you."

I usually don't talk to tourons that much and rather stick with my friends at parties. I mean, I talk to pogues and kooks so I've got a wide range of people who I can talk to. Kie likes talking to other people and complain to them about the plastic in the ocean. I chuckle thinking about how one touron once liked her a lot but she didn't realize that because she couldn't stop thinking about the poor turtles. I admire her engagement for animals and the environment.

„You didn't answer my texts", I hear a certain voice behind me when I filled my cup with beer again. I turn around to face Rafe and hug him. „Sorry, I've been doing a lot today. I promise that I would have answered but I knew you would be here anyways."

„Hey, Bella", Topper and Sarah walk over to us and give me a hug, „How are you? Did you get through?" „Yeah, looks like Agatha didn't do so much to us. What about you guys?" „Well, do you remember how Sarah played with an electricity cable? Yeah, that happened to us. Because dad freaked out about her then. Sure, he's worried about his golden daughter", Rafe tells me and rolls his eyes.

Topper doesn't look amused either. „Boys, calm down, she looks fine, right?" „You're supposed to be on my side", Rafe murmurs into my ear and lays his arm around my waist. „Okay, we're going to leave you love birds alone", Topper chuckles and I consider telling them that it's not like that but they already leave.

„Don't even start", I warn Rafe before he can begin talking about us, „And take your arm away." „Sorry, Bella, force of habit." "By the way, I'm sorry about your dad. He shouldn't treat you like that." "Well, that's another force of habit", Rafe sighs so I pull my arms around his body hugging him tightly. 

"If you were still with me, Bella, it would be better. You know how proud he was to see us together? It's not even that. I just miss you. I want this", Rafe moves his hand around my body to show me that he means us being close, "I want it again."

I let go of Rafe to look him right in the eyes. "Rafe, I can't do this anymore. The moment that I've told you that I need distance, I knew it was right, for both us." "Yeah, I'm going to leave anyways, Kelce is also having a party. I just came to see you."

„I hate when you're being nice that makes me rethink my decision." „Really?" I chuckle and give him a kiss on his cheek. „Not really but I'm glad we're still friends." 

„I take what I can get, right?"

„What was going on with Rafe and you earlier?", John B asks me when I stand next to him watching Topper telling Sarah to get down from where is sitting. „Nothing", I reply simply but honestly.

„You shouldn't lie to me, you know. You were close", he reminds me. „I don't lie to you. Tell me, John B, what's your problem with him?", I ask him raising my eyebrow, „Oh and when we're talking about that, please tell me what you did this morning."

„What I did? I had to keep you close so you didn't fall." I give him a skeptical look. „Iz, I'm just a man, you can't blame me for that." „Then you can't blame Rafe for laying his arm around me." John B smirks so I wonder what is going on in his head again. "You were pressed against my body and I've liked you before, I couldn't help it. Compared to that, Rafe just wants to get you", he tries to argue. 

"You don't know him. And why do you always come back to that topic? It's been more than a year, John B." "Maybe we shouldn't have ignored our feelings back then. Rafe is not good enough for you, not even good at all." „But you are?", I scoff. „I'm just looking out for you." „Well, look out for yourself first."

Later I stand besides JJ and walk to John B with him holding the cups in our hands. „We got this for you", JJ tells him raising the cup, „Oh wait. Hey, hey, Sarah! Can I interest you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?" I look at him furling my eyebrows. Is he flirting with Sarah? Topper is right next to us! „No, thanks", Sarah replies.

„Oh, come on. Is it not fancy enough for you?", he teases her now. I roll my eyes and hit his arm. „She said no, JJ." I guess I am a little jealous but just a tiny little bit and only because of the alcohol. I can see that this wouldn't end well. Boys and toxic masculinity. Not a good combination. The discussion goes on and ends in a fight between Topper and John B eventually.

„Topper, John B!", I yell next standing to Sarah, „Please stop!" Sarah yells for Topper as soon as he hits John B and shouts John B's name as soon as he's over Topper. I shout both names as loud as I can and hope that they would stop. I look around. The crowd around us is big but no one wants to help. Pope can't, Kie and I don't have a chance. Where the hell is JJ?

„Hey, John B, don't make me drown you like your old man, all right?", Topper warns him but John B manages to get up and pulls Topper down. Kie comes closer to us now and tells them to stop as well but they don't listen to any of us. And then they turn around again. It scares us even more to see Topper almost drowning our friend. „Somebody help him! He's going to drown him!"

I see JJ leaving but don't expect him to do something that stupid until he pulls the gun out and holds it against Topper's head. „JJ!" „We're good, we're good", Topper says letting go off John B. „Listen up! Get the hell off our side of the island!", JJ shouts firing two shots into the air which makes me wince.

„Are you crazy?", Pope yells, „You're going to jeopardize everything!" „Guys", I shut them up and point to John B who lays in the water looking unconscious.