extraordinary family dinner

"I wish I could hurt you like you hurt me but if I had the chance, I wouldn't do it."

As the screen burns down, we run away until we're far enough and take a break. "Kie, fuck, you're crazy." "I've saved your asses."

"Hey, are you okay? Did Rafe hurt you?", JJ asks me immediately and takes my hand in his so he can have a look at my wrists. The skin on my wrists has already turned blue and purple from his grip earlier and still hurts, especially when I move it.

"Fuck, Iz, we have to do something about it", Kie whispers and Pope already starts to enumerate some ideas of his. "I know what we do, we'll fucking kill him", JJ spits.

"No, guys", I interrupt them, "Topper would have almost killed you, Pope. John B was his target before. Who's next? JJ? Kie? We're not going to do anything about it. That would only make it worse." "No, we'll-"

"Shut up, JJ. We'll do nothing! It's fine", I shut him up. The three of them look at me shocked, they have never heard me yell like that to one of them so I explain myself again but in a softer voice. "I don't want anything to happen to you guys just because we tell someone about this. I don't want to see you guys like Pope yesterday or like John B when he was unconscious. You are way more important to me than my fucking wrists. Now, let's change the topic, please."

"What did you mean with, JJ already had you?", Kie looked at me now with a confused look, "Did you want to annoy Rafe or why did you say that?"

"Izzy and I", JJ lies for me to not make it worse, "It's been a one time thing." "You two and you didn't tell me?!" "Because it was one night!"

"But you like him", Kie yells back pointing to JJ, "Did you want to get hurt?" "Can we like stop emphasizing that? It's fine. I'm fine. JJ and I are alright." "Seriously, Kie", he helps me, „We get along."

"If they are fine with it, we can be too, right?", Pope asks Kie to calm her down as well. He's got a point. "Fine", she sighs, "Sorry, you just really surprised me."

For the first time since a few days we eat all together at home. Anna asked Kie and I to stay at home for dinner so we can spend some time all together. I like the idea of that, especially since I haven't had dinner with my parents since the last holidays when they've visited us and that would be an alternative. 

However, I would really prefer to be with JJ now. I've been wondering if this is still the time of the relationship where you're hopelessly in love during the first months and I only want to see him now. But we've been calling earlier and he asked me if my wrists still hurt. Yeah, they do and they've still got blue and purple marks. That's why I've been wearing big bracelets the past days whenever I was at home.

"Have you been talking to Rafe?", Anna asks me while she fills each of our plates with some vegetables followed by noodles and the dip. As she mentions his name, it feels like my heartbeat stops for a second. I remember how tightly he grabbed me and the way he insulted me. 

"Yeah, he's doing fine." "We're working tomorrow night. You could invite him over", Christian offers. "We've got plans already", Kie helps me, „Girls night."

Luckily, I don't have to talk and think about Rafe for a second so I grab the cutlery and serve myself some of the salad. Right in that moment, my bracelets slip down my arms and my wrists can be seen. I react quickly and take my hands back within a second but Anna looks at me worriedly.

"Isabella, show us your hands", she demands calmly but firmly. I ask Kie for help by giving her a questioning look but she signalises that I won't be able to hide it anymore so I lay my hands on the table slowly.

"Who did that to you?", Christian asks me angrily. They didn't even have to ask how it happened, you could see that someone had grabbed me hard. "Who, Isabella?"

"I don't know, there was a fight at the kegger. It was a stranger", I stutter nervously. I don't even know why I wouldn't just admit that it's Rafe. Why would I pretend that he's still a good guy? Because he is. He's better than that.. if only he didn't buy coke. I've seen the best part of him. He can be different. He's just hurt. "Tell us the truth, Isabella", Anna demands probably knowing that I lied but I shake my head and look onto the table while tears are falling down my cheeks. "I can't."

"It was Rafe", I hear Kie say and resist looking up. "Grab your jacket", Anna orders, "We're going to visit Ward." "No, he didn't want to hurt me. It was an accident", I hold against her thoughts but she's already standing up showing me that I can't change her mind. "I'm sorry", Kie whispers but I shake my head. "I would have done the same."

After Anna and Christian forced us to take a seat in the car and drive to the Cameron's house with them, they ring the bell and Rose opens the door. My heartbeat becomes faster each second. Would they believe us? Wouldn't they be angry when we accuse Ward's son of hurting me? What is he going to do to Rafe when he finds out about it? Ward has been so nice to me personally, I don't want him to think that he failed raising his son or hurt Rafe once more. He's a good dad to Sarah and Wheezie, he only needs to realize that Rafe dropping out of college is not as bad as he thinks.

"Anna, Christian, Isabella and Kiara, it's a pleasure to see you. Come in", Rose greets us friendly as usual so we follow her but my aunt and uncle don't look amused. "Why do you look so serious, friends?", Ward joins us, "It's good to see you."

"Under different circumstances it would be fine, Ward", Anna starts seriously, "Is Rafe here?" Ward immediately furls his eyebrows suspiciously. "Rafe, come downstairs. Isabella is here", he shouts through the hall - probably mentioning my name to make sure that he's coming - but his voice becomes softer as he turns to us, "What did he do?"

"Show him, Isabella." I don't react quickly because I would have loved to just leave. I'm not comfortable telling Ward about it and especially not about being near to Rafe anymore. I don't mind being far away.