Chapter 9

Team Leni-Kiko just finished another rally and different groups organized a small party for them.

They were currently eating and drinking. From her table Leni could see the senators laughing together and enjoying their beers.

Risa was the life of the party entertaining the volunteers and their fellow candidates.

Leni was not much of a drinker so she just stayed where she was observing the people around her.

Some of the volunteers were singing at the karaoke dedicating songs to Leni, mainly, and to her team. She didn't think she deserved receiving that much love but she was grateful.

Whenever the volunteers finished a song Risa was the loudest cheerer. She would get up and clap her hands yelling something like "Good job anak!" or "Isa pa!"

Risa was like that. Someone who would cheer you on no matter what you're doing. She'll cheer for you no matter the result and smile the brightest at you. She was someone that everyone enjoyed having around. Sometimes Leni felt guilty because she could not match Risa's energy whenever they'd hang out together, but the senator always seemed to enjoy their time together too.

Leni would smile or laugh to whatever Risa was doing.

A few groups of people now left because it was pretty late and only the candidates and their staff were there.

The one busy singing was Chel singing an old song and making everyone laugh.

Risa was busy documenting his performance and cheering him up. She was recording him and then turned the camera towards the other people in the room. While turning it she stopped her movements when the camera pointed at Leni, who was looking at her rather than the singer, Risa looked up and Leni was still staring at her, waved and smiled sweetly at her.

Maybe it was the alcohol in her system but she felt her face heat up and her heart beat faster. Risa looked around and she remembered she was still standing up so she must look stupid standing still and just looking at Leni so she just waved back and continued recording the others.

After Chel's performance she sat down and drank some more beer to calm herself.

*Ano ka ba, ngiti lang yon. Kilig na kilig ka dyan kala mo hinalikan ka* she said to herself.

Leni saw Risa's reaction and she thought that she was just drunk so, while she was enjoying the night she kept an eye on her just in case the senator got more drunk.

Everyone was clapping at senator Trillanes who just finished his song.

"Thank you po, Sen Risa ikaw naman" the senator said offering her the mic. Everyone was now looking at Risa and urging her to sing. Risa looked around and her eyes found Leni who was also cheering.

She took a deep breath and stood up.

While at the stage the DJ was asking which song she wanted to sing. She pondered and her mind went to Leni and what happened just minutes ago.

"Pwede yung Ngiti?" She asked and the DJ nodded.

She exhaled and turned around to the audience.

Leni was now focused on the senator who looked nervous. Usually she was always excited to sing in front of everyone but now she looked a little more nervous.

The song started and it was Ngiti by Ronnie Liang.

Risa looked one last time at Leni but quickly closed her eyes and turned around looking at the lyrics. Afraid that she might do something she'll regret in front of everyone.