Chapter 35

Risa was in a bad mood. Being in the opposition in this senate was already a challenge for her. She kept thinking of the people who were really trying hard to make her work hard. She had a lot on her shoulder especially since she was the de facto opposition leader.

She was thinking about how stressful today was when she received a call.

The name on her screen made her automatically calm down.

"Hello?"

"Hi. You have no idea how bad I needed to hear your voice" Risa said

"Stressful day?" Leni noticed her tone.

"Yes. And to think that this is going to be my new norm for the next 6 years" she sighed.

"What happened?"

"Naiinis lang ako sa mga ibang senator na ayaw maki cooperate. I mean just because we are the opposition doesn't mean the bills we want to pass are only for us or every galaw ko is against them. Then meron pa na ayaw mag accept ng opinion aside from theirs. It's just one of those days na I'm questioning if I can really do it" she said

Leni was so used to the confident Risa, she didn't like how the senator was doubting herself.

"I mean in these moments I really feel alone and against all of them." Risa sighed. "Mas madali sana kung pati ako hindi na naka pasok sa 12"

Since the election people has put not only trust but also pressure on her, being the only opposition in the senate was starting to get to her. Risa kept thinking how it would have been different if she had someone with her.

"Ris, alam naman namin na mahirap ang pinagdadaanan mo ngayon, I know better than anyone else na hindi madali having everyone even the highest officials against you. Pero you can do it, we need you to. I know you'd want me to say na kung nahihirapan ka marami naman tao na nasa tabi mo, that is also true pero at the end of the day you know this is our job. This is why we decided to run in the first place. We fight because the others can't. If you don't do it then who will? You are the best person for this job and we need you there to speak and fight for all of us. Diba sabi mo sakin if you give up sa umpisa palang edi talo na tayo agad. Risa Hontiveros you are strong, don't ever doubt that. Being alone in that room doesn't mean nag iisa ka. Kame lahat nasa likod mo lang and kung may kailangan ka we'll do everything to help you"

Risa knew Leni was right, she applied for this job and she could not give up so easily.

"It's normal na you get tired sometimes. None of us is strong 24/7. Take a breath, rest and do what you need to do pero pag naka bangon ka na we'll fight again" Leni said

"How did you do this for six years?" Risa asked

"With difficulty? Sometimes I wanted to take a break, sometimes I just wanted to quit and give up, pero it's just a little sacrifice on my part unlike the hardships of our countrymen. Hindi madali, alam ko, pero kaya natin gawin. Pero I just hope that you know na nandito ako para sayo. Kung kailangan mo nang kausap, mag vent or sigaw nandito ako. Kahit anong kailangan mo"

Risa already felt better just talking to Leni. She really wanted to be with Leni right now but both of them were super busy and weren't sure when they could see each other again.

"If I need a hug?"

Leni shook her head. Yep, Risa was feeling better for sure.

"I'll give you one when we see each other"

Risa's smile reached her eyes.

"Kiss?"

"That too"

"Cuddles?"