Chapter 23

It was Leni's last day as VP. People have been emotional seeing the VP doing her routine for the last time. Friends, colleagues, family and supporters have been sending her messages of support and thanksgiving.

Leni was calm throughout the day, enjoying being surrounded by the people who have been working with her for the past six years, even granting them their wish to follow a certain protocol she's always refused, but everything just to make this memorable to them and also as a small thank you for their service.

People around her were crying telling her how they wished things went differently but she would just smile at them and tell them that she would still be there if they needed her.
People close to Leni knew that she was not emotional and has always been a positive person. There was a permanent smile on her face remembering the people and the memories of the last 6 years. She thanked each one of her staff and finally ended her term as Vice President of the Philippines.

Her security drove her back to her condo and once she set foot inside her home she released a sigh of relief.
She bid goodbye to her security one last time and went back to being just Leni.
Sure she had the Angat Buhay NGO now and she was going to keep helping the country but she felt a little bit good going back to her old life.

When the staff left she took off her shoes and sighed. Jillian who was waiting for her immediately hugged her mom.
Leni hugged her back and chuckled.

Aika and Tricia stayed there watching their mom and their younger sister with mixed emotions.

"Jill pa change mo muna ako ng clothes" she said but Jillian didn't let go of her mom.

Out of the three of them Jillian was the most affectionate towards her and she was not shy showing her how much she loved her mom with physical touch.

"You did a great job for the past 9 years ma. I am proud of you, we all are" she said.

Aika and Tricia then joined the two, Leni smiled and hugged them all.

"I couldn't have done it without your support" she said.

They broke the hug and the girls let their mom change her clothes while preparing dinner.

That night the four of them talked about plans and wishes knowing that they now had more time and were free to enjoy their time together.

——————

After the simple dinner Leni went to the balcony  drinking a cup of coffee, she thought of her last years as politician and sure there were things she could have done better but she did her best in every opportunity given to her. She was going to take just the positive things and the happy memories with her and the promise to be there when her country needed her.

But now she could focus on herself and her family.

Right then her thoughts were interrupted by a message.

From Risa
Thank you for the 6 years of excellent job Ma'am VP. You're an inspiration to us and wag mo kalimutan every step of the way nandito kame to support you. I'm here always fighting beside you.

Leni read Risa's message and smiled. She decided to call her instead of replying back.

"Hi" Risa said after a few rings

"Hi" Leni said back "Should I call you Ma'am now? Ikaw na ang highest official sa opposition ngayon"

"No. You're still my VP and my President" Risa said making Leni laugh

"Wag mo sabihin yan sa public mababash ka sen"

"Hayaan mo sila" Risa said "so what are you doing? Dahil ba wala ka na work nag lalate ka na rin ngayon?"