Chapter 22: What could happen...?

Author's POV.

After dodging some weird spiral things, the three catch up with the dark fun gang once again. 'How do these two always manage to get in front of us?' (Y/n) asked to herself. Susie and Lancer were standing by a puzzle that blocked their way. Ralsei walked over to the sign next to the puzzle and read it out loud.

𝘌𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥!
𝘕𝘰𝘵𝘦: 𝘋𝘶𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘱.

Kris raised an questioning eyebrow, Ralsei just tilted his head in confusion and (Y/n) face palmed. "So much for a puzzle..." She muttered.

Then, the three went over to Lancer and Susie, who were supposedly working on a plan to thrash them into the ground. Lancer was eagerly scetching away on the blueprint while Susie gave an approving smile. "Then add a mustache over there..." Susie pointed somewhere on the blueprint. "Heehee, like this?" Lancer asked, already admiring their work. "Haha! Yeah! That's perfect!!!" Susie exclaimed before turning her head and taking notice of the fun gang standing behind them. "How's the scheming coming along you two?" Ralsie asked, genuinely interested on what this new duo came up with. Susie got irretated, trying to cover the blueprint with her hands. "Hey, don't look! Spoilers, dude!"

Susie's outburst made Lancer take notice of the three heroes too. "Well well well... Look who it is. The sweet little peas we love to see."

"Hey! Watch your language!" Susie said in a reminding tone. Lancer turned to her for a second "Ups, sorry!" The he turned back to the heroes "Susie's trying to get me to swear more. So cool!" He whispered excitedly.

(Y/n) gasped, getting really mad. "What no! Lancer, swearing is not cool! Susie, why do you teach him stuff like that!?" She scolded both of them. Lancer actually got a slight ashamed look on his face, not liking getting scolded. However, Susie just scoffed, dismissing the royal guard completely. "Pff, you're not our mother. You can't tell us what to do. Besides, swearing is a very important part of today's languages." She waved her off like it was no big deal. "Hehe, Y-yeah! You ain't the boss of us!" Lancer hesitantly agrees.

"Still, Lancer is a sweet kid when he wants to be, so... Stop it!" (Y/n) pointed her index finger towards Susie, a frown clearly on her face. Lancer's face seemed to light up a bit from the girl's words. 'No one has ever said something like that about me... ' He wondered. A nervous chuckle came from beside her. "(Y/n)... You know my opinion on swearing but there's no need to throw hands, just let it go." Ralsei went between the two girls and put a hand on his friend's shoulder, hoping to prevent a fight from happening.

Rolling her eyes, (Y/n) swiftly walked over to the puzzle, punched in the password and the spikes went down. Susie and Lancer looked at the now free path in front of them, then glanced back over to the heroes. Not saying anything, just staring for a moment before they rushed away, yelling "Heh, thanks for doing the puzzle for us, losers." and "Hahaha! Thank you so much, losers! We were having trouble!"

But they abruptly came to a hold, comming back to take the blueprint with them. "We, uh, need this." Susie mumbled and just like that, they were gone.

(Y/n) face-palmed again. "Another great example that neither of the two read the assignment." Kris smiled. "You have no idea..."

~small time skip~

They incountered another darkner named bloxer, who loved to work out but was literally out of shape since his body parts were all the in the wrong places. After a bit of conviction, bloxer let them rearrange his bodyparts to where they were supposed to be. Bloxer was pleased with his new self and let them pass.

After that, they were able to complety focus on the puzzle. Once solved, it lead them to another chest with another piece of armor in it, a bracelet, which Ralsei equipped this time. Then they talked to the darkeners that were around. "The king wants to o-liminate Lightners and capture a supposedly traitor, but... we didn't o-gree with that. We o-scaped, but the o-thers were o-rrested..."

At the mention of an alleged traitor, Kris and Ralsei immediately turned their worried faces towards (Y/n), who nervously fumbled around with the skirt of her dress. "You don't think..." Kris started. "Oh, I'm completely certain of it. The king was always known to hold grudges. We should expect to run into some troubles when we reach the castle." (Y/n) explained, turning back around to continue the journey but before she could come very far, her hand was suddenly grabbed.

"Doll... When we reach the castle... and the guards or the king see you... what will happen to you...?" The human asked carefully, scared for the answer. "Don't worry about it now. We still have a way to go." (Y/n) forced a smile, which Ralsei immediately took notice of. "(Y/n), don't try to brush us off. Remember what we told you, you're not in this alone so don't keep stuff like that to yourself. What would they do if they figure out who you are...?"

(Y/n) looked down. "Well, let's just say... when we are there... you might want to store some energy for your healing spell, Ralsie, hehe... he..." She awkwardly replied, rubbing her arm.

Ralsei covered his mouth with his hands in complete shock. "Oh (Y/n)... Wait, but... the guards. Some of them know you right? They wouldn't attack you... right?" Ralsie felt like crying. He didn't want anything to happen to his dear friend. (Y/n) breathly chuckled. "Ralsei, people do a lot of crazy things when they are scared... and almost everyone in this kingdom is terrified of the king. I wouldn't even blame them, if they were to attack me." She gave a smile, hoping it would comfort the young prince. "I see... just... let's just not let it come to that, okay?" He pleaded and (Y/n) nodded. "Of course..."

Kris tightened his grip on the girl's hand, not enough to harm her, of course. 'Yeah right... As if I'm going to let them hurt you... Forget it doll, in this regard, you're under my protection...... I promise....'

~To be continued~

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°