Chapter 35: A moment of peace

Author's POV.

Our heroes turned a corner and found an elevator. (Y/n) eyes lid up. "There! This elevator should get us out of the dungeons." She pointed out and the four quickly entered it and Ralsei pressed the up button. The elevator doors closed and it started moving upwards. "This, uhm, this could take a while... The dungeons are built pretty deep." (Y/n) noted sheepishly, scratching the back of her head. "No worries, that gives us a moment to relax. Get comfy, everyone!" Ralsei said with a smile, sitting down on the ground, his green robe completely covering his legs now.

Susie rolled her eyes but obeyed, leaning against the wall, keeping her gaze fixated on the floor. Kris also decided to sit down, his back leaning against the wall aswell, (Y/n) sitting down next to him not long after. Kris sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. 'This whole thing is crazy. Me and my bully classmate fell down into a completely different world when we just wanted to get some chalk...' His eyes glanced to Susie, '... Met a prince of darkness that looks like a kid version of my brother....' over to Ralsei, 'and a beautiful girl I might be catching feelings for...' and to (Y/n). Kris's gaze on her lasting longer than he would like to admit, warmth coming to his face. He shook his head and looked at the ground. 'And now it's not going to be long before we encounter an evil king that might or might not kill us.' Kris wanted to laugh. Just this morning, he was a mostly normal teenager with a mostly normal life, and now he's a hero for an entire kingdom and if they screwed this up, Susie and Kris might be trapped hear for heaven knows how long.

As if she had sensed his troubled thoughts, (Y/n) turned her head to her crush, noticing his cold stare on the tiled floor. The rocking of the elevator bouncing his dark locks back and forth. She sighed with a smile, departing for a minute if she should do what was going through her mind. She decided to go for it.

Carefully scootchig over, so that she was sitting right next to him now. (Y/n) silently layed her head on Kris's shoulder, who jumped slightly, not expecting the sudden touch but he relaxed once he saw who it was coming from. Without saying a word, he rested his cheek on her head and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, closing his eyes for a minute.

This closeness was nice for both of them, it was warm and comforting. And after what they've been through down in the dungeons, they both silently agreed that they needed this comfort right now. Neither of them could stop soft smiles from comming to their lips.

"What are you thinking about?" (Y/n) asked him quietly so she wouldn't disturb the others. Kris was silent for a moment, then spoke. "Just... everything..." He said back, the girl humming in response.

It was quiet for another minute or two then Kris's whispered to her. "I'm sorry." (Y/n) glanced up at him, her head still remaining on his shoulder. "What do you mean? Sorry for what?"

"For... what happened at the front gates... I... I couldn't protect you out there. It was my fault you got hurt..." Kris avoided eye contact, keeping his eyes locked on the ground. "Aww, Kris... I told you already, it's okay. It wasn't your fau--" "Yes it was!" Kris snapped, slightly flinching about his sharpness. He looked to see if he had disturbed the others which luckily didn't seem to be the case. Ralsei and Susie were still silent, lost in their own thoughts at the moment, Susie having a slight troubled look on her face.

Kris exhaled, his expression showing a bit of shame. "Sorry for snapping. It's just, back there, you needed me. You called out for help and I was powerless to do anything. And when I woke up and you weren't there, my blood ran cold. And then Susie told us you were hurt and I saw red! These guards... they hurt you... probably when I was knocked out only a couple of feet away. Only thinking about what they might have done to you... it... ugh... it makes me angry... I don't ever want to see you like that again, doll. So... I'm sorry...." Kris wanted to bury his face into his knees again but before he could, a sudden motion startled him.