Chapter 1: Catch that traitor!

(Y/n)'s POV.

"Alright (Y/n), keep both your eyes open and take a deep breath before you fire." I did as I was told, as I pulled the arrow all the way to my cheek. I carefully aimed for the target a few meters away. I took a deep breath before opening my eyes, my fingerless gloved hand letting go of the arrow. To my surprise, it landed not far from the middle and I immediately cheered. "Woohoo! I did it!"

My tutor and my king, the king of diamonds, smiled down at me, petting me on my head. "Good job (Y/n). You're really good with that bow of yours, I'm afraid that soon there will be nothing left for me to teach you." I was literally beaming at that moment. I was just such a proud little 6 years old. In my excitement I twirled around, my dress flowing with my movements. After a few twirles, I stopped and faced the adult in front of me again and bowed in a way to thank him. The king always helped me with my training and he smiled at me warmly, returning the bow. I could have done this training for hours more.

Sadly, we were interrupted by someone coming out to the training field. It was Rouxls Kaard, the Duke of puzzles. "I'm sorry to interrupteth thou at thour training but theth king of spades calledest for thour presence thour majesty." I really had to concentrate to understand what he was saying. He replaced 'you' with 'thou' and randomly adds '-eth' and '-est' to his sentences to make it sound more formal, it did sound more like a toddler pronouncing it's first words in my opinion. "Oh, of course. (Y/n), I have to cut our session short. Excuse me." He politely bowed to me again, which of course I returned, showing my respect. And with that I was left alone in the training field.

I practiced a few more shots all by myself but eventually I got bored.

To be honest, I always wondered what the kings discussed in private. I was only a guardian in training after all, so I wasn't allowed to join them in their meetings. And curiosity got the better of me.

Slowly, I made my way through the dark hallways and towards the room the kings usually had their meetings. It surprised me a bit to see that there weren't any guard in front of the door, telling me to scram. I walked over to it before leaning my ear against it. Muffled voices could be heard but I couldn't tell what they were saying, so I pushed the door open, carefully not to make a sound. What I saw inside almost made me scream in terror.

The spade guards were surrounding the other three kings, ready to attack them if they moved even a bit. The king of spades laughed hysterically. "Hahahaha! Finally, I have all the control and no one will stop me!" He shouts in victory. His loud tone made me shiver in fear. "Spade, please... What you're doing is crazy. Our ancestors wanted the dark kingdom to be ruled in harmony. This isn't what your wife--" The King of hearts tried to reason with him but he was caught off. "SILENCE! My... the queen of spades... is not here anymore. So who cares what she would have wanted!?"

I feel a little sorry for him. The queen of spades died not so long ago, after giving birth to their son Lancer. I really missed her. She was like a mother to me and that's why I could understand how the king was feeling. You know what they say: A king can't be a King without the strength of his queen. Though, that's didn't give him any right to betray the other kings like that. "Spade... please..." The king of diamonds tried again to reach out but the broken king just grabbed him by his collar, pulling him closer to growl in his face. "Don't think you can reason with me. Our ancestors were just scared weaklings. They let the lightners trap us down here. I'll bring the kingdom of darkness back into its wonderful cruel glory. And no one, not even the strongest men on earth, could force me to stop." And with that, he threw my king against a pillar, it wasn't enough to knock him out but it was enough to make him dizzy. The king of hearts and clubs rushed over to him, checking if he had any life threatening injuries.

I gasped as I watched all that happening. 'What should I do? I have to do something!' The king of diamonds rubbed his head in pain but then spotted me in the small opening at the door. His eyes widened in shock, knowing I had heard and seen all of this. "Guards! Take them to the dungeon and make sure they stay there for all eternity!" The spade king ordered and as the guards began to do what he said, my king mouthed a silent 'Run' to me. But my body refused to move. 'No way, I can't just leave them. I... I have to help them. But how?' The king of spades must have noticed his 'colleagues' gaze because the next thing I heard was: "Hey little girl, come here!" I squeaked in fear. I always was a little scared of that blue king and now it turned out, I had all reason to be. "RUN, (Y/N)!" The kings shouted at me, being held back by the guards as the king of spades made his way over to me and pulled the door fully open. I backed up, wondering what I should do now and then made up my mind. "I'm coming back for you, my kings! I'm going to get help and free you!" The three of them smiled at my determination but the one in front of me just growled in anger. "You little brat, don't you realize? I'm the only king you will serve from now on."

"I'LL NEVER SERVE A WRONG KING!!!" I shouted at his face and with that, I ran.

"Ugh, that little-... GUARDS! Catch that traitor!" "Y-Your majesty, she's just a child." "WHO CARES? Just catch her!"I heard him order from behind me but I just continued to run, taking the fastest route out of the castle, in hope I could fulfill that promise I just made to the royals and save them.

~To be continued~

~

°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°