Chapter 41: The King Of Spades

Author's Note:
Oh boy, this is a long one.
3666 words!
Hope you enjoy!

Author's POV.

The four entered the throne room, only to find it absolutely trashed. (Y/n) covered her mouth with her hand, looking at the mess in shock. In the middle of the room, there was a throne that looked like a spade. But it seemed to have been damaged in a struggle. The wall banners were torn and pieces of it were laying on the floor.

Kris quickly took (Y/n)'s hand in his and squeezed it gently, as a form of comfort. (Y/n) squeezed back. She took a deep breath before moving forward, pulling Kris with her, Susie and Ralsei following close behind. As they were walking through the corridor towards where the fountain was, Kris leaned over to whisper in (Y/n)'s ear. "This is the last time I'm gonna ask. Are you sure, you're ready, doll?" He asked, his tone full of concern. (Y/n) thought for a moment before turning her head to face him. She nodded with a determined look. "Yeah, it's now or never. I'm ready..." Kris nodded back, trusting her words.

~little time skip~

The four spotted Lancer up front, he seemed excited. "Hey, there's Lancer...!" Susie smiled, happy to see her friend alright. Lancer didn't seem to have heard them approaching, because he just kept walking over to a huge figure with a black cape and a spiked silver crown on its head. The king of spades.

(Y/n) tightened her grip on Kris's hand. "Father!" Lancer called. The king turned his head to him for a moment to acknowledge him before facing towards the fountain again. "Lancer, my son... Have you dispatched the Lightners, as I commanded?" He asked, his deep voice calm for now. Lancer got nervous. "N... No, b-but... I did even better!" Lancer cheered proudly. "It turns out we don't actually have to fight them! They said they could just talk to you, and..." He continued, excited to tell his dad about what he accomplished.

But instead of praising him, like Lancer thought he would do, his dad swiftly turned towards him, his foot stomping on the ground as he did so, shaking the area around them. "They're ALIVE?" The king asked in disbelief. Even then, Lancer's smile never faltered. "Yes, and I think you'll like them a lot! There's Susie, she's very purple and strong! And then there's (Y/n), she's super brave and sweet! Oh and..." Lancer started to count down his new friends but was interupted by the king of spades. "WHERE ARE THEY NOW?!" Lancer flinched at the loud yelling. "Ummm..." Lancer struggled to find an answer to that question.

"W-We're here!" A voice said from behind them. It was (Y/n)'s voice. The four of them stepped forward. Lancer was happy to see them. "Hey." Susie simply greeted. "It's nice to meet you." Ralsei added politely. Kris and (Y/n) didn't say anything. He didn't know what to say and (Y/n) was too scared to. The king was shocked and disappointed when he saw he group. "... Lancer. Lancer my son." He adressed. "Y-Yes, father?" Lancer stuttered.

The king walked up to him and kneeled down to be closer to his son's height but he was till towering over Lancer. The sight made (y/n) very nervous. "Do you remember what I told you?" He asked and Lancer's smile dropped and he looked down. "D-Don't... get too attached?"

The king layed a hand on Lancer's shoulder. "You have failed. They have poisoned you with their sentimentality. Free yourself, Lancer. They care NOT for you. Their only goal is to destroy our glorious fountain." He lied to Lancer as if it was no big deal. (Y/n)'s expression hardened as she stepped forward. "That is not true! You're the only one who doesn't care for anyone but himself!" She exclaimed with a sudden boost of bravery. Lancer's father glanced at her with a cold glare. "They. Are. Scum." He continued to say, holding his stare at (Y/n). Kris immediately felt his protectiveness kick in and he walked forward too, pulling (Y/n) slightly behind him while holding her close. He returned the cold glare.