18.

Authors Note: Thank you so much for all the sweet messages, I appreciate them all so much . It's been very overwhelming and difficult but I've felt the love from you guys so I'm so grateful.

Hope you enjoy this chapter ❤️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Groaning , I attempted to sit up but my body protested as my muscles popped uncomfortably and pain spread through my chest.

Slumping back down in defeat, I slowly opened my eyes and was greeted with the face of my mother as she clutched my hand desperately . Her face was scrunched up as she attempted to hold in her tears but her body was shaking .

"Mom" I whispered as she threw herself forward and wrapped me in her warm embrace .

All the anguish, pain , frustration , fear and anger I felt evaporated from my body as I breathed in my mother scent. Warmth and love spread through my pores, chasing away every single negative emotion I had .

I was finally home .

"Mom, I'm so sorry" I whispered , clinging onto her tightly, afraid that she would disappear.

"Don't be silly, you've got nothing to apologise for my sweet girl . I've missed you so much" Sobbed mom, showering my face with kisses.

We spent the next few minutes in silence , just embracing each other and allowing ourselves to weep in joy at finally being reunited . However, what had happened the day before suddenly came back to me .

Sapphire had betrayed us .

She had betrayed Aztec .

Sapphire was going to help her kill me .

Aztec's mate was going to help Crystal murder me .

"Why? Why would you do that ?" I gasped out, my throat closing up as tears began to cloud my vision .

Sapphires eyes were cold as she looked down at me , completely emotionless .

" I don't want to be with Aztec , I never wanted a mate but the bond made it almost impossible for me to refuse . I was stuck with a psychotic killer , he's called the soul collector for heaven sake ! Do you think I want that ? To be so tied to someone that I cannot live without them ? I didn't ask for any of this , I just want a normal life. I don't want any of this ! I need a fresh start ! You were already cursed and going to die anyway, I'm just speeding up the process and when I do it , Rosie is going to help me severe the mating bond. It's taken me almost eighteen years but I have almost everything I need , I just need some ancient vampire relic that belongs to her family and isn't accessible by anyone who isn't blood related to it. I'm sorry Zia but I need to be free" Sapphire explained , her tone almost pleading .

"Mom, Sapphire, she-"

"- I know , we know" Mom whispered , her tone regretful.

"What's going to happen to her ? What's going to happen to uncle Aztec?"

Mom bit her lip , her caramel coloured eyes swimming in a mixture of different emotions as she looked away . I could tell she was picking her words carefully before she spoke to me .

"She's.. being dealt with but I don't want you to worry about it . You need to focus on getting better . I'll get your brothers , they'll want to know you're awake" Mom replied carefully , her voice even.