Part 21

The view is just like the star map hologram, plus, the
storm-shrouded planet of Kamino is exactly where it ought to be. The Starship disengages from the hyperspace transport ring and heads down toward the planet. "There it is, right where it should be. Our
missing planet, Kamino." Obi-wan says. "The files were altered." I sigh confused.

Heavy rains and hard-driving winds lash the platform as our Starship approaches. The huge, ultra-modern city of Tipoca rests on great stilts that keep it above the pounding and ever-present waves that cover the surface of this watery world.

Obi-wan and I get out and make our way through the howling wind toward a tower on the far side of
the platform. A shaft of brilliant light pierces the swirling rain. Obi-wan and I pass through it and go inside.

A bright light pierced through as I move my soaked cloak from my hair revealing my strawberry blonde curls drench with rain water. "Master Jedi, so good to see you." A strange creature says.

Obi-wan wipes the rain from his face and blinks in surprise at a tall, pasty-white alien. Who has large, almond shaped eyes. "The Prime Minister expects you." It says. "We're expected?" I ask wearily. "Of course! He is anxious to meet you. After all these years, we were beginning to think you weren't coming. Now please, this way!" The alien states.

We mask our surprise as we move away along the corridor. A door slides open and we enter and cross
to where another alien rises, smiling, from his chair, which, like all the furniture on Kamino, seems made out of pure light.

"May I present Lama Su, Prime Minister of Kamino... and this is Master Jedi..." the first alien states. "Obi-Wan Kenobi and Esther Callridge." Obi-wan states. Lama Su indicates a chair while Obi-wan and I remain standing. The room is bathed in brilliant white light. The whole place is ultra high-tech. "I trust you are going to enjoy your stay. We are
most happy you have arrived at the best part of the season." Lama Su states. "You make me feel most welcome." Obi-wan state with a smile.

"Please..." Lama Su states pointing to two chairs for Obi-wan and I. "And now to business. You will be delighted to hear we are on schedule. Two hundred thousand units are ready, with another million well
on the way." Lama Su adds. "That is... good news." I state improvising.

"Please tell your Master Sifo-Dyas that we have every confidence his order will be met on time and in full. He is well, I hope." Lama Su says looking over to me. "I'm sorry? Master - ?" Obi-wan asks. "Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. He's still a leading member of the Jedi Council, is he not?" Lama Su asks growing concerned. "Master Sifo-Dyas was killed almost ten years ago." I state.

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. But I'm sure he would have been proud of the army we've built for him." Lama Su sighs shaking his head. "The army?" Obi-wan asks. "Yes, a clone army. And, I must say, one of the finest we've ever created." Lama Su says proudly. "Tell me, Prime Minister, when my Master first contacted you about the army, did he say who it was for?" Obi-wan asks curiously. "Of course he did. This army is for the Republic. But you must be anxious to inspect the units for yourself." Lama Su states. "That's why we're here." I reply getting back to the task at hand. Lama Su and the two of us rise and walk toward the door.

We come out onto a balcony. Below is a huge parade ground. The rain and wind are brutal. Thousands of troopers, faces covered by helmets, are marching and drilling in formations of several hundred.

"Magnificent, aren't they?" Lama Su beams. Obi-wan and I nod. Why so many? Why would they want to plan for a war that wasn't even a thought ten years ago?

The tour continues through a classroom filled with boys who look identical to one another. "We take great pride in our combat education and training programs. This group was created about five years
ago." Lama Su says proudly. "You mentioned growth acceleration..." Obi-wan asks. "Oh yes, it's essential. Otherwise, a mature clone would take a lifetime to grow. Now, we can do it in half the time. Those items you saw on the parade ground were started ten years ago, when Sifo-Dyas first placed the order, and they're already mature." Lama Su states.

Lama Su conducts Obi-wan and I through a large eating area. Taun We follows as we walk by  hundreds of clones who look exactly alike, all about twenty years old, dressed in black. They are seated at tables, eating some strange form of food.

"You'll find they are totally obedient, taking any
order without question. We modified their genetic structure to make them less independent than the original host." Lama Su says confidently. "Who was the original host?" I ask curiously. "A bounty hunter called Jango Fett. We felt a Jedi would be the perfect choice, but Sifo-Dyas hand-picked Jango Fett himself." Lama Su answers.

"Where is this bounty hunter now?" Obi-wan asks. "Oh, we keep him here." Lama Su replies. The tour continues through a long corridor filled with narrow, transparent tubes into which clones are climbing.
Once in the tube, the clone goes to sleep.

"Apart from his pay, which is considerable, Fett demanded only one thing - an unaltered clone for himself. Curious, isn't it?" Lama Su sighs. "Unaltered?" Obi-wan asks. "Pure genetic replication. No tampering with the structure to make it more docile... and no growth acceleration." I state answering for Lama Su who nods in approval.

"I would very much like to meet this Jango Fett." Obi-wan requests. "I would be most happy to arrange it, for you." Taun We says as he bows to leave. There we are left with Lama Su who continues to explain things about the clone.