Part 29

The small Jedi Shuttle carrying Palpatine and the Jedi arrives at the landing platform. There are a dozen senators, waiting outside as I rest my head on Obi-wan's shoulder. Palpatine, R2, Marcus and Anakin get out while Obi-wan and Mace stay in the doorway of the Jedi Shuttle.

"Are you coming, Master?" Anakin asks. "Oh no. I'm not brave enough for politics. I have to report to the Council. Besides, someone needs to be the poster boys." Obi-wan returns. "Hold on, this whole operation was your idea. You planned it. You led the rescue operation. You have to be the one to take the bows this time." Marcus states. "Sorry, old friend. Let us not forget that you two rescued me from the Buzz Droids. And you killed Count Dooku. And you rescued the Chancellor, carrying me unconscious on your back, and you managed to land that bucket of bolts safely . . ." I reply slowly moving to stand between the other two Masters.

"All because of your training, Masters. You deserve all those speeches of your greatness." Anakin states. ". . . the endless speeches . . . Anakin, let's be fair. Today, you are the hero and you deserve your glorious day with the politicians." Obi-wan replies.

"All right. But you owe me . . . and not for saving your skin for the tenth time . . ." Marcus says as I shake my head. "Ninth time . . . that business on Cato Nemoidia doesn't count. I'll see you at the briefing." I reply as Obi-wan places a hand on the small of my back.

We watch as the two boys walk off before allowing the Jedi Shuttle to continue. "How are you feeling Esther? That was quite the injury, probably the worst I've seen that hasn't resulted in death." Mace states. "I'm feeling much better." I reply with a soft smile resting my head on Obi's shoulder.

When we arrive to the temple, we all head for the council chambers. "Masters, welcome back." Yoda states. I look to the chair that once belonged to my friend Adi Gallia. "Chancellor Palpatine, seemed... off." I state sitting in my chair in deep thought. "What do you mean by off? Did you sense this too?" Windu asks looking to Obi. "I'm afraid so." he replies. "What of Marcus? They've grown close since he came back from the dark side. Does Marcus have any knowledge of this?" Master Fisto asks curiously. "I want to say no, but honestly, I'm not sure." I reply. "Speak with Esme, you must." Yoda states.

Looking at Obi-wan I sink into my chair more. "Uneasiness I sense in you young one." Yoda says. "If he turned to the dark side, I failed him." I reply. "Fail him, you did not." Yoda states. "His mind is unclear." Master Allie states. "Speak with his padiwan and with Marcus we will." Yoda states as he moves to call in another Jedi for a debriefing.

----------------------------------

Anakin rushes into the Briefing Room as Obi-wan and I move to the front together. By the time he reaches the Chamber, the last of the Jedi are leaving while we remain at the front of the lecture hall. Obi-wan begins shutting off some holograms and electronic charts and maps.

"You missed the report on the Outer Rim sieges." I state leaning against the table. "I'm sorry, I was held up. I have no excuse." Anakin replies. "In short, they are going very well. Saleucami has fallen, and Master Vos has moved his troops to Boz Pity." Obi-wan states coming to stand next to me. "What's wrong then?" Marcus asks moving to enter the room. "The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the Chancellor today." I answer looking to Obi. "Well, that can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad? It will make it easier for us to end this war." Marcus states in a bored tone. "Boys, be careful of your friend Palpatine." I state. "Be careful of what?" Anakin asks. 

"He has requested your presence." I state softly. "What for?" they ask looking between Obi and I. "He would not say." Obi answers. "He didn't inform the Jedi Council? That's unusual, isn't it?" Anakin sighs. "All of this is unusual, and it's making me feel uneasy. You're probably aware that relations between the Council and the Chancellor are stressed." I reply tiredly. "I know the Council has grown wary of the Chancellor's power, mine also for that matter. Aren't we all working together to save the Republic? Why all this distrust?" Marcus states. "The Force grows dark, and we are all affected by it. Be wary of your feelings." I snap at the boy as my anger grows.