Part 28

Slowly I regain consciousness and try to look around. Until I realize where I am and hold onto Anakin tightly. "Easy. . . . We're in a bit of a situation." Anakin grumbles.

"Did I miss something?" I ask nervously. I look down and see Marcus, Obi-wan, Palpatine, and the bottomless pit. Suddenly R2 begins beeping on Obi-Wan's comlink and the ship begins to roll, causing the vertical shaft to move. We hear the elevator brakes release and I look up to see the elevator heading toward them.

"Hold on." Anakin grumbles. "What is that?" Obi-wan asks. Obi-wan, Anakin, and Marcus look up to watch the elevator approach us at high speed, then turn to one another.

"Oops." Obi-wan sighs. "R2, R2, shut down the elevator!" Anakin calls out onto the Commlink. "Too late! Jump!" I call out. We fall about three hundred feet before the tilt of the ship catches up, and we hit the side of the shaft and slide at great speed just ahead of the elevator. The shaft continues to rotate until it is completely horizontal.

Anakin and Obi-wan take out and throw grappling hooks. The hooks catch and we continue to fall. All the doors in the elevator shaft open up, and the five of us swing through the open door into a hallway as the elevator roars by.

"Let's see if we can find something in the hangar bay that's still flyable. Come on." I groan pulling myself up. "M'lady are you sure you're okay? You took quiet the hit from Dooku." Palpatine asks cause the three Jedi to turn back to me. "I'lol survive. I've been through worse Chancellor." I assure the men.

"R2, get down here. R2, do you copy?" Anakin calls on the commlink. We head down a hallway toward the hangar bay.

It is extremely windy as bits and pieces are continually sucked into space. The hangar bay doors are closed, but great stresses are being exerted as the ship twists, re-entering the atmosphere of Coruscant. They stop in a doorway leading into the hangar bay.

"None of those ships will get us anywhere." I sigh. "I agree." Marcus states with the other two nodding. "What are we going to do?" Palpatine asks. "I don't know." I sigh wiping the blood from my face.

"Don't look at me. I don't know." Obi-wan says to the two young Jedi as he shrugs his shoulders. Anakin's Fighter has been sucked out of the hangar bay and is totaled.

Suddenly, the ship turns on its side. "Here, Chancellor, lock this around your waist, and hold on." Anakin states. "We'll head toward the bridge and see if we can find an escape pod." Marcus states catching onto Anakin's plan.

Anakin hands Palpatine the end of a cable that is attached to his utility belt. He attaches it around his waist quickly as we throw our utility cables to some pipes in the ceiling and swing to a second set of pipes.

I grab onto the pipes that run along what was the ceiling and is now the wall. As we move out into the hangar, two super battle droids start firing at us. Marcus ignites his lightsaber and deflects the bolts back at the droids, blowing them up.

We follow Marcus along the pipes running along the ceiling of the hangar as Palpatine struggles against the escaping air of the pressurized hangar and loses his grip as a pipe breaks, causing a rush of steam, but Anakin manages to maintain his grasp on the pipe as the chancellor dangles on the other end of the utility cable.

We are surrounded by sparks and explosions as the ship twists and tries to break apart. Anakin moves out of the steam and struggles to pull the Chancellor back to safety. We are almost pulled loose in the buffeting winds. The ceiling behind buckles, causing pipes to break, creating geysers of steam. Some bits of pipe go hurling into the blast doors and out into space. We make it through a hangar doorway and close it behind.