Part 25

Standing alone I look at the destruction caused by the separatists. The once beautiful planet of Lambodina was now a crumble of ash and fire. "General, we need to get going. The separatists could come back." Commander Lexing states. "They aren't coming back. We shouldn't have left." I sigh blaming myself. "General." the clones state snapping to attention at the arrive of another Jedi. "Esther, you can't blame yourself for this. You were given an order by the council." Obi-wan says. "I'm on the council. I could've said no. This is my fault." I reply before walking through the destruction alone. 

The destruction of the cities caused millions of deaths that were now on my shoulders. Guilt hangs over my head like a cloud. Dropping to my knees at the location of where the Palace once stood only twelve hours ago. 

Suddenly I sense something through the force and I climb to my feet running in the direction of the forest. In the background I hear Obi-wan and my clones calling after me, but I don't stop. I push myself to move faster as I drop my robe and pull out my lightsaber incase it's a trap. "Please don't hurt us!" a small child whimpers as I skid to a stop. "Where are your parents?" I ask looking down at the two. "T-they told us to stay out here until they came to get us, but then the fire hit the city and we don't know where they are." the first child who appears to only be about two cries while the small infant next to her cries as well. "Okay, well my name is Esther and I'm a Jedi. I'm going to take you with me to a safe place." I state softly.

As I walk out to the forest edge, I notice Obi-wan, Cody, and Lexing ordering soldiers into groups. "Uhm, Commander Lexing, she's behind you." Avark says confused. "Where did you find those two?" Obi-wan asks looking at the two small children. "Someone or both are force sensitive." I reply softly as I hold the small child in my arms. "We need to get back to Coruscant. We have a council meeting that we will miss if we don't." Obi-wan sighs as he takes the older child into his arms. 

------------

Not long after we reach Coruscant, the council decides to call in Marcus and his apprentice Esme. "How did your mission go? Did you catch the Viceroy's location?" Master Windu questions. "No, we were attacked by droids and the Viceroy was able to escape through an escape pod." Marcus states. I notice Esme looking a little nervous and uneasy. "Esme, you seem uneasy." I sate from my seat. "It's nothing." she replies softly. "Nervousness, leads to a lack of focus padiwan." Master Plo states. 

We all watch as she fights herself on what to do. "An internal battle, I sense in you. Stay here and meditate you must." Master Yoda commands. I watch as my daughter nods her head sadly. "You will be back out there in no time, you just need to regain your focus." I state softly. "Clear your mind of everything that clouds your judgement." Master Gallia states as we then dismiss the two.

As we watch them leave I can't help but notice the darkness surrounding Marcus. "I sense an uneasiness in you now, Esther." Master Ki-Adi-Mundi states sitting across from me. I notice others agree. "I sense something is off about Marcus." I sigh looking at the door. "I need to speak with him. I will be right back." I state confused as I rise from my seat.

I chase after the two who are about to go down another hall. "Marcus!" I call out as he comes to a halt. "Esme, go ahead. I won't have him long." I state looking at my now seven year old daughter. "Yes, Master." she states before walking away. "Master, what's wrong?" Marcus asks confused. "Are you okay? I sense something different about you?" I state looking at him carefully. "Yes, everything is fine. I just need to work with Esme to keep her focused." he dismisses. I sense his lie but decide to ignore it for the time being. "Okay. That's all, I'm always here if you need me." I state before turning to leave him. "Thank you, Master." he states before going in the direction of Esme.

As I enter the council chambers my mind races with all the possibilities of what happened in the last year for him to turn closer to the dark side. "Master Callridge, your thoughts are more jumbled than before. They're very loud." Master Kollar states looking at me curiously along with the other masters. I sink into my chair ignoring their thoughts as I try to unscramble my own. 

"Esther, what is going on?" Obi-wan asks resting his arms on his knees as he leans forward. "I-I don't know. Something's not right, he lied to me about it too." I whisper moving to look out the window at the city. "Could this be you overthinking? You did just have a stressful mission." Master Fisto suggests. "No, this... this was different." I reply. "I know what happened, I can sense it. I just can't place what it is." I add annoyed. "Meditate on this, you must." Master Yoda states as I nod my head. 

Sighing I lean against the wall. "You can't place all the guilt on you. We are the ones who told you to go." Master Koth states looking over from his seat. "I could have said no. I thought they would be okay for a few hours. I was clearly mistaken." I reply messing with my fingers. "The guilt is on everyone here. This was a group decision." Master Tiin states. "But I was the one who was sent to protect them. I couldn't even do that, my own apprentice won't even tell me the truth anymore." I rant before turning to face the council one more. "Take a break from the war, you will. Clear your mind, you must." Master Yoda states. "We will come back in two days. Until then, no more assignments for anyone let the clones heal. We should all meditate." Master Windu states before everyone stands to leave. 

Master Windu, Yoda, and Obi-wan move to my side. "I fear Marcus may be turning to the dark side." I state. "That's a bold assumption." Master Windu states. "Are you sure?" Obi-wan asks shocked. "I'm not completely sure, but I sensed a darkness around him and he lied to me. He has never lied to me about anything." I state. "Watch him closely, we must." Master Yoda sighs shaking his head. "He was close before, maybe I can fix this again?" I offer. "No. He is too old this time. He will have to fix this himself." Obi-wan says as Master Windu nods in agreement. 

With that we dismiss ourselves to our rooms where we rest for the upcoming battles.