Chapter 2

We drove all day. We stopped only when it started to get dark. We wanted to rest a bit after the first day of the trip. Kili still hasn't paid me, but I decided to let him go for now.

Most of the Company was already asleep, only Kili, Fili and I remained on the reconnaissance. I was very tired, my eyes were slowly closing, so I rested my head on Kili's shoulder.

"Get some sleep. " Brunet said to me.

"Thank you. " I replied. "But I doubt that I could fall asleep with Bombur's snoring. "

The dwarf laughed. Sitting leaning against Kili, I saw that Bilbo couldn't sleep because of the snoring either. He got up and went to the horses. On the way I found out that he was allergic to horse hair and hence the reluctance to ride on one of them. He even wanted to turn home for a handkerchief, but Bofur gave him a piece of cloth instead. Suddenly, there was a strange sound through which I immediately wake up, just like Thorin, who was sitting near us.

"What was that? " Bilbo asked slightly frightened and came to us.

"Orcs. " Kili replied.

"Orcs? " Hobbit asked.

"Nasty creatures. " I added.

"Throat-cutters. " Fili supported us. "There'll be dozens of them ou there. The lone-lands are crawling with them. "

"They strike in the wee small hours when everybody's asleep. " Kili added. "Quick and quiet, no screams. "

"Just lots of blood. " - I interjected.

Judging by the hobbit's face, we managed to scare him quite a bit. Kili glanced at me and began to laugh quietly, and after a while Fili and I joined him.

"You think that's funny? " Thorin scolded us. Then he got up and walked over to us. "You think a night raid by Orcs is a joke? "

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili began to explain to us.

"No, you didn't." An elderly dwarf entered into his words. "You know nothing of the world. " Added and left our group.

Thorin at first glance may seem quite harsh and not very sympathetic, but the truth is quite different. He has a really good heart and can be nicer than he is now. But he has reason to hate orcs.

"Don't mind him, laddie. " Balin said and walked over to us. "Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs." Said as if he were reading my mind.

After a while, he began to talk about how the orcs had occupied Moria. He talked about how Thror had fallen and how Thorin had faced the Pale Orc. The war was won, and the Pale Orc disappeared. And I was very hopeful that he had died.

"And the Pale Orc? " Bilbo asked. "What happened to him? "

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. " Thorin replied, walking back to us. "That filth died of his wounds long ago. "

I really hoped that Thorin was right and that my strange premonition wouldn't work.

***

We set off on the further journey in the morning. Unfortunately, we were caught by the rain, but we were still going ahead. Gandalf told us about other wizards along the way because we complained about the rain and asked him to do something about it.

Unfortunately, this wasn't his task, so that's how the stories about the others began. Fortunately, the rain was over and we didn't have to do anything so unusual. On the way we didn't come across any bunch of orcs, which made us very happy. The day passed very quickly and before we knew it started to get dark, so we started looking for a new place to stay. We found them near the forest, next to the destroyed hut. A good place like any other, or so I thought. Gandalf, on the other hand, insisted that we shouldn't stop here and go further, to the Hidden Valley. Oakenshield said that he had no intention of going there and here, of course, I agreed with him.