Chapter 4

"What do you think? " I asked as I approached Kili, when we were almost there.

"I don't know. " He replied and glanced at me. "I certainly won't believe a single word of them... Unless I have no choice. " Hearing the last words I smiled at him.

Kili was always able to make me laugh and support me whenever I needed it. I was very grateful to him for that. I also knew that I could always count on him, just as he could count on me.

***

We reached a large round square, to which a large staircase led. I must admit that the appearance of all this up close was even nicer.

We waited a while until an elf came to us.

"Be on your guard. Stay sharp." Thorin whispered to us, to which I only nodded my head in response.

The elf had long black hair and was dressed in a dark tunic. Honestly, if it weren't for that hair, he would look like a priest.

"Mithrandir. " Elf said.

At first I didn't know what or who it was, but when Gandalf answered the elf, I guessed he was talking to him.

Wizard approached him to say hello, and after a while the elf said something to him in elven language. I didn't understand any of that.

"Do you understand something? " I whispered to Kili.

"Nope. " He replied.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond. " Gandalf said in normal language.

"My master is not here." Elf replied also in normal language.

"Not here? " Gandalf asked, surprised. "Where's he? "

It was as if in answer to this question, we heard the sound of a horn, the same one we heard during the fight with the orcs. We all turned to the direction from which he was coming. I saw a bunch of elves riding horses straight towards us.

"Ready weapons! Close ranks! " Thorin shouted.

We lined up in one group. Bilbo and I were pushed inside. The elves surrounded us and began to look at us. They were much taller than us. After a short while, they stopped, and one of them got off his horse and greeted Gandalf, of course in elven terms. I guessed it had to be all this Elrond. He was dressed similarly to the elf we had met before, and like him, he also had long, black hair. For a moment he talked about something elven with Gandalf, of course none of us understood anything. Later, elf looked at us closely. Thorin went ahead.

"Welcome, Thorin, son of Thrain. " He said.

"I don't believe we have met. " Dwarf replied dryly.

"You have your grandfather's bearing. " Elrond said. "I knew Thror when he ruled Under the Mountain. "

"Indeed?... He made no mention of you." Oakenshield looked at him.

After a moment of silence, the elf said something in his own language that we obviously didn't understand.

"What's he saying?! " Gloin interjected. "Does he offer us insult?! " He began to approach the elf with an axe in his hand, but Gandalf stopped him by saying:

"No, Mr. Gloi, he's offering you food. "

We deliberated for a moment, wondering if we should agree, after which Gloin said:

"Well... In that case, lead on. " Said proudly.

The elf smiled, and after a while he looked straight at me.

"This wound must be dressed. " He said and pointed to my wound.

It wasn't a dangerous wound. I glanced at the wound and then back at the elf.