Chapter 16

I grabbed the first stone I had at hand and was about to throw it at my opponent, but he released the arrow and the stone fell out of my hand, as did Kli. We had no weapons, we were defenseless.

"Do it again..." He said pointing at us again. "And you're dead. "

Balin looked at him for a moment and then negotiated with him.

"Excuse me... But you're from Lake-Town, if I'm not mistaken." Said and slowly started towards him, but as the archer started aiming at him, he stopped. "That barge over there... It wouldn't be avaiable for hire, by any chance? "

I wanted to say more, but stopped myself as I didn't want to make our situation even worse.

I must admit, that the archer was reasonably handsome. He had black hair and a beard, and a strand of gray hair was visible here and there. His clothes weren't in the best condition, and neither were his shoes.

The man went to his barge and we followed him. He started loading the barrels we came in in onto his ship.

"What makes you think I would help you? " the man asked.

"First of all... " Kili began in a whisper.

"We don't think. " I finished in a whisper at which we both laughed.

"Those boots have seen better days. " Balin continued. "As Has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns? "

"A boy and two girls. " Archer replied.

"And your wife, I imagine she's a beauty. " Balin smiled.

"Aye..." Man sadly. "She was..."

I felt sorry for him. He had three children who he raised alone. It's certainly not easy for them.

I also know what it's like to lose a loved one. I don't wish this to anyone, even my worst enemy.

"Come on, come on. " Dwalin said suddenly. "Enough of the niceties. "

"What's your hurry? " Archer asked. "I would like to know who you are. And what you're doing in these lands. "

"You don't need to know everything. " I cut in, and he looked at me.

"One girl? "

"As you can see. " I shrugged and he just smiled. Maybe he's not that bad at all?

"We're simple merchants from the Blue Mountains. " Balin interrupted us. "Journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills. "

"Simple mechants, you say? " He asked incredulously.

"We need food..." I began. "Supplies..."

"And weapons. " Thorin finished for me. "Can you help us? "

Archer looked at the barrels in which we came here for a moment, then turned to us again.

"I know where these barrels came from. "

"What of it? " Oakenshield asked.

"I don't know what business you had with the elves... "

"Me neither. " I said in a whisper, at which Fili and Kili laughed.

"But I don't think it ended well. " Added. "No one enters Lake-Town but by leave of the Master. All this wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He would see you in Irons before risking the wart of king Thranduil."

You could immediately notice that the guy wants to offer him something more. So Balin tried to negotiate further.

"I'll wager there're ways to enter that town unseen. " Balin continued hopefully.