Chapter 23

*MALIA*

At night, Thorin told us to brick up the entrance, which Smaug had balanced when he flew straight into the town. So we collected boulders and carried them on wheelbarrows. Half of the dwarves pulled them on ropes to the top and laid them out, and the other half carried the necessary things. The remains of the statues were terribly heavy so boys took care of them, and I with Bilbo and others carried stones and helped. Those who carried the boulders swapped with those who dragged them upstairs. I also wanted to help upstairs, but they said it was too hard work for the girl and told me to stay downstairs. I wanted to protest, but there were too many of them. Besides, when I was looking at Thorin how angry he was, I decided that I wouldn't be annoyed him even more. I decided to let go.

"I want this fortress made safe by sunu[! " Thorin shouted and walked past Kili, Bilbo and me. "This mountain was hard-won. I'll not see it taken again. "

I walked past Kili and saw how angry he was at the Oakenshield, but I didn't have time to stop him and dwarf let go of the wheelbarrow, which we had to catch with Baggins later. Brunet approached Thorin.

"The people of the Lake-Town have nothing..." He said to Oakenshield. "They came to us in need. They have lost everything. "

"Don't tell me what they have lost. " Thorin repiled sharply. "I know well enough their hardship. Those who have lived through dragon fire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for. "

"And they are! " I shouted to him, because I couldn't stand it anymore. I put the wheelbarrow and stood on a par with Kili. "They lost their homes, their family, everything. " I said. " They're glad that they survived, but they have nothing to go back to. Kili's right. " I glanced at brunet. "They need help... "

"Silence! " Thorin interrupted me. "Go back to work! More stone! Bring more stone to the gate! "

"Thorin! " I insisted.

"I said, go back to work! " He shouted at me.

I didn't want to let go, but Kili took my hand and said it didn't make sense. I agreed with him, but I didn't want to leave it so easy. We went back to work.

We worked hard until Thorin told us to follow him. We took up our weapons and followed him to the top of our fortress.

I stood between Thorin and Kili. In the city of Dale, there was an army of elves everywhere. There were plenty of them.

I looked nervously at Kili and then at Thorin. Something else, however, caught the attention of Oakenshield, so I looked in that direction and saw that someone was going towards the mountain on a white horse. At first I hoped it might be Gandalf, but it wasn't him, it was Bard.

"Hail, Thorin, son of Thrain. " Bard called. "We're glad to find you alive beyond hope. "

"Why do you come to the gates of the King Under the Mountain armed for war? " Thorin asked dryly.

"Why does the King Under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hold?" Archer answered.

Let's hope Bard doesn't say too much, because it can end really badly. In part, man spoke the truth, but this truth could have very bad effects.

"Perhaps it's because I'm expecting to be robbed. " Oakenshield replied to him.

"My lord, we have not come to rob you..." Archer said. "But to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?"

Thorin nodded as a sign that he agreed. So we went down and Oakenshield went to the hole in fortress through which he was supposed to talk to the Bard. Moments earlier, a black raven flew out of Erebor, I didn't know where it came from. However, when I looked at Thorin, I knew it was his doing, but I didn't know what it meant.