Chapter 24

War. A stupid war for a few gems can suffer terrible results, and yet it's just beginning. Thorin told us to prepare. So we went down to the armory, put on our armor and chose our weapons. I took two daggers - one I hid at the front and the other at the back of the belt. For this sword and bow and arrows. I saw no point in starting a war for these gems, and the rest of our Company thought the same except for Thorin. At times he seemed to be himself, but these were only temporary moments. He gave our burglar Mithril, which was made of gray glow. No blade can pierce it. And to tell the truth it's perfect for our hobbit. Oakenshield pulled Bilbo aside and exchanged a few words with him, and I went to see brothers to see how they were doing.

"Need help? "I asked Kili with a smile, who was trying to fasten his armor. Both brothers laughed, and I joined them as well. "So help. " I added and approached brunet to help him.

"Did you talk to Thorin? " Fili asked.

"No. " I replied. "He doesn't listen to anyone anyway. "

"Maybe he would listen to you. " Kili supported his brother.

"I doubt it. " I said in a low voice.

"It's always worth a try. " Fili said and smiled at me.

Maybe he was right. Maybe it's actually worth trying again.

When we were all ready, we lined up one after the other, went between Oakenshield and Baggins, and went to war. Or so we thought at the time.

*BILBO*

I knew one thing... I couldn't allow this war to happen, I knew that it would have disastrous consequences, so I decided to negotiate peace. When it got dark, I went to the fodtress that we had built together. I took a rope and tied one end solidly to the rock, and threw the other down so that I could later go down the rope.

A moment later I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

"I guess you like to scare me, huh? " I asked Malia, who scared me again today.

"Very. " She replied with a smile. "Where do you sneak out? "

"Maybe you'll think it's a bad idea..." I began. "But I want to make peace with them. "

"The idea is half good and half bad. " She said shrugging her shoulders. "A better question rather: How do you want to do it? "

"Exactly..." I sighed. "I decided that... In return, I'll give them the Arkenstone. Then they'll be able to negotiate with Thorin and perhaps do without war.

"Do you believe that? " Dwarf asked.

"No, but it's worth a try. "

Malia laughed and then said.

"But be careful. "

"Sure. " I replied. "As always. " I sent her a grateful smile and then began to slowly go downstairs.

Malia is completely different. You can talk to her about anything. Even though she's close to Thorin, who is like a father to her, she didn't tell him anything. I knew that she wouldn't give me up and that I could count on her in any situation. I was very grateful to her for all this.

*MALIA*

Dawn has come. An army of elves and men was already standing at Erebor, and we waited on the mountain for Bard and Thranduil to come closer to the mountain. We waited with our weapons in our hands, and as soon as they approached, Thorin shot them with a bow. The arrow bounced off the ground, and he said:

"I'll pull the next one between your eyes! "

Company began to cheer, but when the whole army of elves pointed their bows at us, everyone fell silent and buried behind the rocks. It was only when Thranduil told them to hide their weapons that we came out of their hiding places.