Chapter 17

We got to Bard's house by the worst possible road, but here we are.

Fortunately, at the archer's house, we were able to clean up and refresh ourselves a bit. We also got a hot meal and clothes.

As Bard said before, he had a son named Bain and two daughters. The older one was called Sigrid and the younger was Tilda. In addition, the girls were very similar to each other.

It was very cozy and warm in their house. Finally, it was possible to warm up a little.

Thorin was standing by the window and watching something so I went over to see what fascinated him so much.

"A dwarvish windlandce. " Said as I came closer.

"You look like you've seen a ghost. " Bilbo said.

"He has. " Balin replied. "The last time we saw such a weapon... "

"A city was on fire..." I finished, I knew the story very well.

I was the day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale.

"Girion, the lord of the city rallied his bowemen to fire upon the beast. " Balin said. "But a dragon's hide is tough. Tougher than the strongest armor. Only a Black Arrow fired from a windlance could have pierced the dragon's hide. And few of those arrows were ever made. The store was running low when Girion made his last stand. "

"Had the aim of men been true that day... " Thorin interjected. "Much would have been different. "

"You speak as if you were there. " Bard said.

"All dwarves know the tale. " Oakenshield replied.

"Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon." Bard's son, Bain, interjected. "He loosened a scale under the left wing. One more shot and he would have killed the beast. "

"How do you know? " I asked. "You were there? " I added sarcastically.

"That's a fairy story, lad. " Dwalin added. "Nothing more. "

"You took our money. " Thorin changed the subject. "Where are the weapons? "

Bard told us to wait a moment and he went somewhere. As soon as archer was gone, I went over to Thorin, Balin, and brothers to talk.

"How are you? " I asked Kli right away.

"I'm fine. " He replied and smiled slightly, but I didn't believe him anyway. He was terribly pale and could barely stand on his feet. I had a bad feeling ...

"Tomorrow beggins the last day of autumn. "Thorin said.

"Durin's Day falls the mom after next. We must reach the mountains before then. "Balin supported him in a whisper.

"And if we don't? If we fail to find the hidden door before that time?" Kili asked.

"Then this quest has been for nothing. " Fili replied.

Bard interrupted our further conversation. He brought us a weapons. Or at least he called it that.

Honestly, every time I hear the word weapon I associate it with swords, axes etc., not hooks, harpoons, hammers and other things. The rest of the Company didn't like it either.

"You won't find better outside the city armory. " Bard said. "All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key. "

At these words Thorin and Dwalin exchanged meaningful glances, and I knew then what that might mean.

"Thorin..." Balin said. "Why not take what's on offer and go? I've made do with less. So have you."

"Balin's right. " I added. "If we're to get there in time, we must hurry."

Thorin nodded, then stroked my cheek with his hand and walked over to Dwalin.

"Let's go. " He said.

"You're not going anywhere. " Archer interrupted.

"And why is that? " I asked.

"There're spies watching this house and probably every dock and wharf in the town." he reminded. "You must wait till nightfall. " He added and went outside.

I just sighed, and after a while I started looking for Kili. I wanted to see how he really felt. Brunet staggered to the bed and sat on it. He was even pale, which worried me more and more. As I approached him, he looked at me.

"I'm fine. " He said right away.

I just shook my head and knelt beside him to examine the wound. At first he protested, but he knew he wouldn't win against me and he let it go.

The wound looked bad. I asked little Tilda for water. I had to wash his wound out with something.

"You're a dwarf too, aren't you?" Little girl asked and handed me the water.

"Yes. " I replied and smiled at her, then thanked her for the water.

"You're very pretty. " Tilda said.

"T-thank you. " I said with a smile that girl reciprocated, but after a while her sister called her and she had to go.

"She's right. " Kili said with a sly smile.

"Be quiet. " I laughed.

I washed his wound.

"Kili, this wound is not looking good. " I said as I dressed his leg in the meantime.

"I know. " He said. "But don't say anything to Thorin." Added and looked into my eyes. "Please. "

"I'm not gonna tell him. " I replied after a moment. "But something has to be done. " I insisted.

"Lia, I'll be fine. " Brunet insisted and took my hand. "Don't worry. "

"I can't help but worry. " I looked him in the eyes and I returned his gesture. I wanted to say something else, but I paused, I didn't even know why.

Kili was very important to me. Before the journey, we were very close, and now we have become even closer to each other. I was afraid that something might happen to him, and I couldn't bear the next loss of someone so dear to me.

Kili smiled slightly and he stroked my hand, which made me smile as well.

"How are you? " Suddenly I heard Thorin's voice behind us.

"It's okay. " Kili lied. "I'm fine. "

Thorin glanced at me, then back at Kli.

"Get ready for the evening. " Thorin said. "When we get a better weapon, we move on. "

Kili and I nodded and listened to the further action plan.

***

As soon as it got dark, we went to the armory to get weapons. Bain tried to stop us, but we didn't listen to him anyway.

We had to get in through the window as there were guards at the main entrance. The window was quite high so we had to stack on top of each other to make it easier for us to enter. Thorin sent me first because I was the most agile of all. Once inside and making sure it was safe, I let the others know that they could come in.

Half the Company was inside and half waited outside. We chose our weapons and were practically ready to continue our journey, but not everything went our way. Dwarves shouldn't be giving Kili that much weapon, because he was already weakened enough. He, however, insisted that he could do it, but as soon as he reached the first step of the stairs, he stumbled and fell, and the weapon with him. That's how the guards heard us. I ran to him and helped him up. Moments later I felt someone stick a sword to my throat. I turned to see the guard.