Chapter 5

As we agreed with Thorin and Gandalf, we set off on the further journey in the morning. Gandalf, however, didn't go with us, because he had some meeting with Lord Elrond and someone else. But we were to meet him later.

We continued our journey through the path that led through the mountains.

"Be vigilant. " Thorin said. "We're entering a wild country. Balin, you know these paths, so lead us. " Turned to his friend.

And so it was. Balin led us through the paths until we went out into the open area. I leveled the step with Bilbo. At first we walked in silence, but in the end hobbit broke the silence:

"Thorin is your father? " He asked and glanced at me.

To be honest, he surprised me a little with this question.

"No. " I replied. "But he's like a father to me. My father... " I lowered my head sadly.

"I'm sorry. " Bilbo said right away as soon as he saw my reaction. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. "

" No. I mean... " I made a straight line out of my mouth, took a deep breath and continued. "My father died during the war with the orcs..."

"I'm so sorry... " Baggins said sadly. "And your mom...? "

"Both of them were killed by Azog the Defiler." I replied sadly. "My parents were friends of the royal family. We didn't belong to the royal sphere, we were dwarves of low origin, but Thorin's family was very close to us. My dad once saved Thorin's life, and when he died, Thorin promised to take care of me. And so he did. " I said. "I was little when they died... I have no one closer than Thorin, Kili, Fili and the rest of the Company including you. " I sent him a slight smile, which after a while he reciprocated.

"You've been through a lot... "

"Yes... My whole life was uphill... I hope that maybe now this will change."

Bilbo, seeing my sad face, wanted to change the subject.

"Well... " He said. "My legs hurt terribly, and you? We're walking for so long... "

"Me too. " I said with a smile and looked at Kili, who was walking in front of me.

He took off his quiver and did something with it, and I took advantage of his moment of inattention and jumped on his back.

"Oh my..." Kili began, but he didn't finish. "Lia! "

"Yeah, that's me. Bravo for the observation. " I said and smiled. "My legs hurt. "

"And my back hurts too. " He glanced at me.

"You'll be fine. " I didn't intend to give in to him so easily.

He knew I wouldn't go down anyway, so he handed the quiver to Fili, who, along with Thorin and the others, laughed at us.

***

We were already walking quite a long way. I was already walking on my own and gave Kili a moment of rest. The road was very long and tiring. Everyone was going at their own pace, some were leaving them behind, but Thorin rushed them. Some also went too far and had to wait for the rest later.

Finally, we came to the next mountains and as for bad it began to rain, so the road was very slippery and narrow. The earth slid in the least unexpected moments. We had hoods on our heads, but they didn't give much. After a while, a terrible storm broke out.

"We must find shelter! " Thorin shouted, trying to shout out the noises of the storm.

However, there was no trace of him anywhere. I followed Fili and Kili followed me. I took steps at will not to slip, but it was quite difficult. Some parts of the rocks protruded from the walls and it was very difficult to avoid them. The path was still climbing upwards. We walked step by step until suddenly, not far from us, lightning struck. I lost my balance and slid off the path. I screamed and started to fall.