VIII

Morrigan Brooks

ELIJAH told me a story of a girl who was best friends with his family, though how the story ended, I couldn't tell you. I fell asleep on the couch listening to Elijah's voice. It was nice, and one of the best nights of sleep I've had in years.

While I had a great sleep, it was short-lived. I woke up really early, early enough to watch the sunrise, and also early enough that I found Elijah, asleep with his arm around me, holding me close.

It was comforting.

What wasn't comforting was that he could look so fit when he sleeps. It's like sex literally radiates off this man.

He shifts in his sleep and I quickly pretend also just to be waking up so I don't have to explain why I was watching him sleep.

"Good morning, Elijah. I'm glad you decided to stay this time," I say with faux grogginess. He sleepily smiles while slowly and almost reluctantly retracting his arm from around me.

"Morning, Mor. How are you?" Mor. I like that name.

Good lord, that morning voice though.

"I'm good. I had a nice sleep... I like that. Mor, no one really calls me that."

"Oh... really?" He says and I just shrug.

"Yeah, uh, how are you?" I say. I hate morning after talk, and we didn't even have sex! Like give me a break! 

"I'm well, thank you. What is the time?" He asks and I open my phone and look.

"Uh, seven forty-three," say and he nods. 

"I should be off. I've been invited to the Lockwood house for a little function for the book I'm supposedly writing." He says and I chuckle, remembering him telling me about his alibi, Elijah Smith.

"Well, maybe I'll see you later." He nods, bidding me goodbye before speeding out my window.

I get up from the couch, cracking my neck since I slept in an awkward position and start my morning slowly.

I walked into my bathroom and brushed my teeth and curled my hair. When I was on one of the last strands, Damon called me. 

"You want to come to a tea party?" He asks and sometimes the things that come out of his mouth really baffle me.

"Excuse me?" I ask and he exhales.

"Mrs Lockwood is hosting this thing for Elijah, and I want to meet him." Good god, this man will be the death of me.

"Not really," I say but he completely ignores me.

"So I'll pick you up in an hour?"

"If you bring me coffee," I say and he chuckles.

"You are an easy woman to please," he says before hanging up.

I finish curling my hair and that's when I go to look through my closet. How formal was this thing?

I pull out a top that I hadn't worn in a while. It was mint green with long billowy sleeves and drawstrings down the sides, runching it. I pair it with a pair of black pants, heels and a bag.