XVI

Morrigan Brooks

"WAIT... can we like, I don't know. Stop for food. Stef, there's a squirrel for you." I say, having not fed in around twenty hours. 

"Your hilarity had stunned me silent, Ror," Stefan says flatly. He was miserable and had been for the month we had been on the road. 

We were back in a forest, still in Florida. We had been here for ages and Klaus seemed to have it in his thick head that there was an abundance of werewolves here, despite the evidence.

My phone rang and I picked up after looking at the caller ID.

"Hey, stranger," I say, pretending to look for werewolves under little stones. 

"Hey," Eliza said. "Those tickets to London, where are they?" 

"They should be on my bedside table. If not, check maybe my closet. I'll email them to you if you can't find them." 

"Thanks. How's... wherever you are?" She asks. I can hear her rummaging around, most likely in my room. 

"It's pretty boring." I then raise my voice. "Oh! Klaus! I think I found a werew- Oh. No. It's just an ant." I say. Eliza chuckles, and I can hear Klaus muttering something about regrets, but I just go back to talking on the phone. "That's the most exciting thing I've done all month. Except I called Brandon to cancel, though that was in like the first couple of days, so I don't think that counts." 

"Oh shit, how did that go?"

"Basically I told him my mother had an urgent medical emergency and I had to go back to merry old England immediately. Actually, could you mention that to Damon and Alaric? They frequent the place, so might as well be thorough."

"Yeah, of course. Oh! Found them. First class, nice." She says and I scoff. 

"Like you've flown anything but." I sat incredulously, looking around and seeing the sun was about to set. "So. How are things in Mystic Falls."

"Boring. Damon's trying to find you guys, and I'm like, just leave them be. It's not like he'd walk away from a fight like that, so I finally gave up, and now I'm going to London."

"Good for you. I've got to go, but call me whenever. Not like I'll be doing anything stimulating."

"I will. Love you."

"Love you too," I say and hang up. 

"Mor, this is the third time this week you've played that ant joke. I think it's time to put it to rest," Klaus says, coming over to me. "Maybe we'll just split up next time. Then you can't impose that on me."

"Oh, I would gladly split up," I say. "How much longer are we here?" I ask.

"Funny you should mention that. I was just about to tell you to go back to the hotel and pack. We're going to leave and go elsewhere."

"'Kay," I say offhandedly. "Where's Stefan?" 

"Here," he says from behind me. I turn around, smiling and then start to walk back to where the car was parked. 

"Look at us, thick as thieves, hunting werewolves that won't show themselves for another few hours," I say sarcastically. 

"I'VE compelled someone to take our things back to the hotel. We're going straight to the woods since it's almost dark." Klaus says as we exit the bar. He was hopeful that we could just casually nab a werewolf from the woods while they were in wolf form. I told him he was delusional, but as usual, he ignored me.