XLVII

THEODORE Brooks knew that the second he saw his daughter in the field, murder gleaming in her eyes, that she wasn't the same girl he confronted in 1759. She wasn't the same girl he raised and she wasn't the same girl he killed. She wasn't even the same girl he saw in the storage facility, when he restored her memories.

She was stronger. He could tell. There were waves of power radiating off of her and a mean look on her face.

Here and now, she had said. He knew that she would not be coming to have a chat and some tea, but the way she said it was bone-chilling.

Maybe it was because he could see the glimmer of resemblance to the soft girl he taught how to make flowers grow and the girl he raised to be caring and kind.

Theodore knew there was no way she would forgive him, but the moment he saw her, he almost regretted his actions towards her. He almost wished that he never erased any likeness of a relationship that they had. He almost wished that he never went searching for more power. The last one was more of a stretch.

Masking his thoughts with a menacing smile, he knew what he had to do.

Morrigan Brooks

I watched as Theodore stood from where he was sitting, taking long strides to get closer to me.

"You've changed, my dear. You look more... manevolant. It's good. The Brooks way," he says, the sick smile never once being wiped from his face.

"I want you to rot in hell, knowing that I bested you," I say, not being able to stop my teeth from grinding.

"That is unlikely, Pearl. You and I are two sides of the same coin, but a biased coin. I am stronger. I have more power. I don't lose."

"That literally makes no sense," I sneer, my eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

I could tell that he felt no remorse, but I wished that I didn't have to be here, fighting him.

Without warning, he blows a powder on me and suddenly, when I look around, I am back in my childhood home.

It was more of a decadent shack, but it had served its purpose when we needed it.

"What is this?" I demand but he just laughs.

"Why pearl, I'd think you know exactly what it is. I taught you about this."

He laughs the most unhinged laugh I had ever heard.

"Chambre de Chasse," I breathe and he nods.

Flashback to 1429

Father was always one to keep me entertained with his magic, and he had always said that he and mother would teach me my first spell when I turned ten, saying it would mark a whole decade since I 'graced the earth', but on my seventh birthday, they said that they had a special present for me.

"Morrigan, your father and I have spoken and we think that you are ready to start to learn magic," my mother says fondly and my eyes light up.

"Really?" I say, my heart starts to beat faster and I jump up and down with excitement. I was sure that they were going to shelter me for longer.