XXIII

Morrigan Brooks

I woke up on the floor with books surrounding me. I fell asleep last night- well... at four in the morning because I stayed up reading through every spell I or any of my family have ever seen or created.

I checked my phone and saw Klaus texted me to come to the grill.

I got up, albeit reluctantly, and went to get dressed. I grab a little black dress with a strawberry pattern all over it. I layer a leather jacket over it, black boots and a simple gold necklace as I still couldn't find my beloved ring necklace.

I wouldn't panic though

I wouldn't panic though. I'll find it.

I drive to the grill to see Klaus sitting at the bar. Not that I expected him to be anywhere else.

"So," I say, sitting next to him. "Catch me up. Did you end up turning any hybrids?"

"I did. But an annoying con is Elena's blood is the only thing that will turn them."

"Ah, nature. Gotta love her." I say.

"Yes. And my father, who has spent the last thousand years trying to kill me came back, though I swiftly ended that, killing him instead." He says proudly.

"Nice," I say, cursing myself for not remembering to put on the necklace that would alert me of my own father's presence.

"Yes, and those series of events led to Stefan holding a grudge and stealing my family just as I was about to wake them."

"I have a feeling compelling him to turn off his humanity might be a factor." I muse and he doesn't reply.

"Ok, so I called you so I could propose something to you."

"I'm sorry, I can't marry you." I say and he gives me a look as if to say 'wait'.

"I want you to be on my side in this battle of wills." He says and I narrow my eyes when I don't understand. "Me against Stefan, I want you to be on my side."

"No, no, no, no, no." I say. "I'll do stuff for you, but I'm not pledging myself against literally all of Mystic Falls." He sighs but looks as if he expected it. "I'm not taking sides. I'm on team Morrigan. No team Stefan or Team Klaus. I think we should all be friends like we were over the summer."

"You and me both, love. Stefan keeps pushing me." He gets up from his seat and I follow suit. "As long as I can count on you to not betray me, we are great."

"I won't lie to you," I say. "I may keep things, but I won't lie."

"Fair enough. Come to the Wickery Bridge fundraiser with me this evening. I need you as a violence buffer."

"You want a violence buffer?" I say in a disbelieving tone.

"I need to make a good impression, love." He says giving me a look and I sigh in resignation.