XLIII

Morrigan Brooks

The blood of a single crow
Deadly nightshade - six flowers, stripped of their stem
Lily of the Valley - six flowers, stripped of their stem
Black salts
Tourmaline
Fire
Blood of a relative

THEODORE Brooks was the biggest pain in my ass and if I was going to live past Halloween, I needed to get rid of him permanently.

Elijah was talking to Klaus at his place, and I was back at mine, though I was quickly getting bored.

Of course, I knew I had to do this in order to, you know, live, but making up a spell was so tedious. I needed some sort of distraction.

Without a second thought on the matter, I got in my car and found myself at the Salvatore boarding house.

They would have something going on to give me a good laugh.

"Boys? I'm back!" I say in a sing-song voice, looking around but the house seemed void of anyone.

Or so I thought until I heard someone coming up the stairs.

"Oh, hey, Elena. How are you?" I ask as I watch the doppelganger come up the stairs.

"I'm great, Rory," she says in a flat voice and I raise a single brow.

"What's up with you?" I ask, but remembered what I saw when I was with Elijah. "Is it about your house? Do you know who did it?"

"It was too much of a hassle to deal with Jeremy, so I came up with a good solution." She says. What does Jeremy have to do with this?

"Right... Well, do you know where Damon or Stefan is?"

She just shrugs and walks away. I could tell something was off, but I didn't care enough to put much thought into it.

That was until I put thought into it.

Elena was usually compassionate and compared to her doppelganger, quite timid, but she was acting like...

Oh shit. This was funny.

Elena flipped her humanity switch. That was the only explanation.

I sped back to the Salvatore house, went down to the basement/dungeon and found Elena sipping a blood bag.

"If your humanity's off, why are you still drinking from a blood bag?" I ask and she gives me a flat stare.

"Figured it out did you?" She asks but I roll my eyes.

"Just answer the question, Katherine," I say mockingly, but it was her turn to roll her eyes.

"The mayor put vervain in the town's water supply, so I can't." She says begrudgingly.

"Ah, so only these fancy water filters will get rid of it," I say with a laugh, pouring myself a glass of the boys' fancy bourbon. "Why are you still here then? Surely you're not dependent on Stefan and Damon?"

"It's funny watching them try and 'appeal to my humanity'. Like that's actually supposed to work."

I laugh with Elena, not because I find that actually funny, but it was just the distraction I was looking for when I left this morning.

"Elena?" I hear Damon shout. I look to the doppelganger who rolls her eyes and turns to the stairwell where the older Salvatore was coming down. "Elena- Oh, hey Ror. What are you doing back in town?"

"Could ask you the same thing, since little miss heartless is being awfully vague," I say, nodding in Elena's direction.

"We went looking for the cure, we almost died, Jeremy did die, Katherine stole the cure right from under our noses, and now this one is homeless, brotherless, and humanity-less," Damon says, his shoulders slumped.