XXXVI

Morrigan Brooks

Flashback to 1589

It was warm for Norway, even in the summer. I was able to make a spell that kept the air circulating, but sometimes I wished we had something to do that for us. Something that didn't require the labour of moving it up and down, like a fan.

I was lying on the couch, trying to find a position that would keep me as cool as possible when Rebekah walks in.

"Uh, Kol just turned up," she says pulling me up from my position (that I had finally gotten right) and taking me with her. "He wants to see you."

"They all do," I joke, walking with her until we reach the grand foyer.

"It's so bland, Nik, mix it up! I know some lovely Spanish painters who would bring colour to this place as you've never seen before," Kol was saying as I come into the room, but when he sees me, a mischievous smile erupted across his face.

"Morrigan! Finally."

"Good to see you too, Kol," I say, embracing him, and he returns it. "How have you been? Where have you been?" I ask and Rebekah and Klaus usher everyone into the great room.

"Oh, I've been all over," he says. "Rebekah just now, corners me in the market when she sees me."

"Kol, you're my brother. I'm going to say hello when I see you," Rebekah says, sounding done with his shit.

"You didn't say hello to me, more like you demanded I have lunch with everyone."

"Kol you exaggerate so much, if lunch is such a bother, feel free to leave." Rebekah says snippily but he puts his hands up in surrender. 

"I would never," he says mischievously. 

End of flashback

I woke with a start, and took in my surroundings, making me realise I was still on the plane. I had started to try to block out the still running tape of memories that flashed through my head, but I realised it was futile.

My eyes were still slightly puffy, my throat was dry and I was having an overall shit day.

"Um, excuse me," I say to a passing flight attendant. "How long before we land?"

"About two minutes, ma'am," she says and I thank her before she leaves. 

I slept on and off during the flight, and all my 'dreams' were just memories. Some of it made me smile, and some of it made me cry, but no matter what my emotions were towards them it didn't change the fact that the ones who were in all the memories decided not to tell me, even though they had the power to.

I also realised why the only memories that were stolen were the ones of the Mikaeslons: Because on a certain level, my father was jealous. He was jealous I found another family after I left him.

I was still fuming at them, though.

Was it wrong I missed Elijah?

The captain announced that we were landing and I let out a long exhale. All I can hope for is a relatively clean slate. I just wanted to see my best friend and forget about the last year.

The irony of that was not lost on me.

When I finally got all my luggage, I left the airport to see Eliza leaning against what I assumed was her car with coffees in her hand.

"Ror," she says, putting the drinks in the roof of her car and coming over to me, embracing me as soon as she reaches me.

I bury my face in the crook of her neck and start to cry, yet again.