𝑰. 𝒕𝒐𝒑 𝒈𝒖𝒏

•••

Nerd.

Emo.

Loser.

Freak.

Harper had never been too fond of this particular set of words. While she tried as hard as she could to stay out of the drama and stay FAR away from the popular kids, she could always feel their stares her way, she could hear their little comments about how she looked, how she dressed, or even what makeup she wore. See Harper was quite the opposite of how the "popular" kids described her, she was quiet, and kind, she was a little bit of a nerd but that was something she could be proud of, but she was always very nervous. Harper didn't have the bravery to stand up for herself, so when the insults were thrown her way she took them.

Of course not without repercussion. Harper spent many nights at home crying her eyes out thinking about the cruel words that were said to her. She kept telling herself, "Come on Harper, you don't have it that bad." But no matter how many times she tried, she couldn't cheer herself back up.

After the loss of her friend Barb, Harper was left with basically no one, besides Nancy Wheeler. The two girls had nothing in common besides their lost friend. Nancy tried as best as she could to get along with the girl but there was just nothing to go on. So the occasional 'hello' was good enough for both of them. In fact, Harper seemed to get along better with Nancy's younger brother Mike than she did with Nancy.

Harper wasn't much of a people person, but when she did find someone she stuck. But it was hard to do that when all of her friends would go missing.

Luckily for her, she got a job at the Family Video store. She mostly got the job for the discounted movies but along with that, she gained two new friends.

Steve "The Hair" Harrington.

And Robin Buckley.

Both of them were quite social people. Steve learned quickly that Harper wasn't interested in dating him, so it didn't take him long to back off, allowing the three of them to just become friends.

Having friends again was nice. Steve's children would often come in to visit him, allowing Harper to hear them ramble on about a video game, a D&D campaign, a basketball game, or whatever they wanted to talk about. It kept her interested.

Harper had never been a big fan of sports, but when it came to video games or D&D she was all ears.

Her mother and father believed that Dungeons and Dragons was devil worship, used in sacrifices and ceremonies. So whenever Harper got to play she would always have to play in secret. It had been a while since she had been in a campaign because, in the last one she had, every single person had gone "missing". All of them had gotten up and left during a section of the campaign. Harper never saw them again, but she sure hoped she didn't. They weren't bad people or anything... it was just the circumstance of them "walking out" that was a little odd.

Currently, Harper was flipping through a magazine about the upcoming release of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition. Her eyes grazed over the page as she absorbed every word. She had her head propped up by her arm and was leaning on the table in front of her.

"Psst!" Harper heard from behind her, she lifted her head and spotted Robin looking at her expectantly.

Harper raised her eyebrows, "What?" She whispered.