𝑿𝑿𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰. 𝒆𝒅𝒅𝒊𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒔𝒆𝒅

•••

Harper looked around, her eyes were full of tears and her head was pounding. She quickly reached down and flipped over the mattress to make way for a chair.

"What are you doing?" Dustin asked, his voice broken and full of tears.

Harper set the chair down loudly, "I'm going after him." She said before turning towards the boy, "Give me a boost, and don't follow me." She grabbed Dustin's arms, "I will come back with him."

The boy looked at Harper with fear in his eyes, his eyebrows were raised and his bottom lip was jutted out as he tried to hold back his tears. He quickly reached out and tackled Harper in a hug. His grip was tight as if he didn't want to let go.

"Promise me you'll come back." He sobbed into her shoulder, "Please, promise me."

Harper nodded, tightening the embrace as she rested her chin on his head, "I promise."

Dustin pulled away and stepped behind the chair, he readied himself for Harper to make her way up. Harper let out a nervous breath before hopping up on the chair, she stepped on the back of it which was steadied by Dustin and grabbed onto the entrance of the gate while hoisting herself up. Dustin let go of the chair and pushed her feet up, successfully pushing her through the gate. Once the gravity shifted she fell to the ground, landing on her leg and letting out a pained yell.

"Sh*t! Harper are you okay?" Dustin called up to her nervously.

Harper pushed through the pain, "Yeah! I- I'm fine! Just make a new rope!" She pulled herself off the ground. She limped over to the door of the trailer and pushed it open, painfully dragging herself down the stairs, "EDDIE!" She called out, using her spear for support. Harper looked around frantically, "Eddie!" She called out once more. The sound of the demibats filled the air as Harper rounded the corner calling out for him again. Her eyes widened as she saw a swarm of bats in the not-so-far distance, "EDDIE!" Harper called out, running as quick as her broken leg could take her.

Harper heard Eddie yell out as the bats dragged him to the ground they tore into his flesh with their teeth. One had its tail wrapped around his neck, cutting off his air supply. The girl dragged herself into the swarm, stabbing at the creature forcing Eddie to the ground. She cut off its head, causing it to go limp before turning and grabbing one of the ones eating his flesh and ripping its tail from its body. A few bit at her body, cutting into her skin.

Suddenly the bats all dropped to the ground.

Harper dropped down to her knees and lifted up Eddie's head so it rested on her knees, "Oh God, Eddie." She breathed looking over his wounds. Eddie looked up at her, the adrenaline rushing through his body not letting him understand the seriousness of his wounds.

"B-bad, huh?" He asked, glancing up at her.

She shook her head, moving his jacket to the side to look at the wounds, if she got him to a hospital in time he would be okay, "No. You're gonna be fine." She let the tears fall from her eyes freely, "We just gotta get you to a hospital, okay?" Harper nodded.

"Okay." Eddie nodded.

Harper nodded, lifting his arm over her shoulder, Eddie winced probably feeling the pain kick in, "All right. All right." She breathed, trying to lift him.

"I think I just... I think I just need a second, okay?" Eddie asked, leaning back down.

"We don't- Eddie I need you to get up." She paused, her free hand resting on his cheek, tears dripping from her face, "Okay?"

Eddie coughed, blood dripping from his mouth, he sent the girl a sad smile, "I didn't run away this time, right?" He asked, looking for Harper's approval. Eddie clenched his jaw, trying to force away the pain.