𝑰𝑽. 𝒂 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒌

•••

Harper stayed seated after the music was over. It took a few minutes but the band finally dispersed from the room that they had gotten ready in. Eddie caught her glance and tilted his head, gesturing for her to follow him.

She stood up from her seat and followed the boy outside. Harper rounded the brick corner and spotted Eddie Munson leaning against the wall in front of her. He turned to look at her and sent her a grin before his face quickly turned serious. He grabbed her shoulders.

"Are you alright? Did that guy do anything to you?" He paused, glancing over her once more to see if she was injured, "Because I swear if he-"

"Eddie." Harper interrupted, "He didn't do anything." She glanced down at the ground, "I'm just glad you noticed the roofie... if you hadn't-" Harper paused before she could think about it.

Her face was quickly pulled into Eddie's chest as he engulfed her in a hug. Harper hesitated for a moment before wrapping her arms around his waist.

Eddie then pulled back once more, his hands on her shoulders again, "Hellfire is my job to protect." Harper could see an angry look in his eyes, but it was masked well by his concern, "I told you to bring someone with you." He dropped his hands, crossing his arms and leaning against the bricks behind him.

"I know." Harper didn't know why she felt so nervous, but Eddie's voice was so low and his tone was so demanding that it made her feel... she didn't know, "It's just, one of the people I would have brought is too young, under 18... and Nancy Wheeler- well she's got a stick so far up her ass that she doesn't know how to have fun. So I settled on going alone." Harper explained, "I was doing fine until that guy grabbed my thigh."

Eddie's eyes widened, "He touched you?" His stance grew tense as he looked at the girl in front of him, "Sh*t"

Harper noticed the darkened look in Eddie's eyes and couldn't help but feel small, "Luckily, you interrupted him before he could go any higher." The boy's eyebrows furrowed.

"I swear if I ever see him again-" Eddie started before taking in a sharp breath cutting himself off, "Do you have a ride home?" He asked.

Harper looked away from the boy, "No... I was just going to walk home."

"Hell no."

Eddie breathed, "Not after what happened tonight." He picked up his guitar case and started walking toward his uncle's van. He opened the door for Harper before shutting it after she sat down.

Eddie then got into the driver's seat and pulled out of the parking lot. It was silent as Eddie tapped his ringed fingers on the steering wheel. He let out a sigh before fumbling in his jacket pocket and pulling out a box of cigarettes. He pulled one out of the box with one hand while driving with the other. He put the cigarette in his mouth and placed the box back in his pocket before reaching into the other one and pulling out a silver flip-top lighter. He flicked his hand backwards, opening the top before striking the wheel of the lighter, a small flame lit up before Eddie held it up to his cigarette. He let go of the steering wheel for a second to hold his hand behind the flame before placing it back on the wheel. He closed the top of the lighter, placing it back in his pocket.

The boy breathed in before letting out a sigh, smoke flowing from his slightly parted lips, "I'm not mad... at you at least." Harper glanced over at the boy, the two of them in the same car must look like quite the odd pair, Eddie "The Freak" Munson and Harper O'Brian.