𝑿𝑰𝑿. 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒈𝒂𝒕𝒆

•••

They had been walking through the woods for what seemed like hours. It must have been because the sky had now grown dark. They broke through to a clearing, "Something's happening!" Dustin said, looking down at his compass.

"Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin~?" Eddie called after the boy as he continued forward.

The boy turned to look back at the group, not seeing the lake right in front of him, "I think we're getting close." Eddie ran up quickly, grabbing the back of his shirt and pulling him back before Dustin could step into the water.

"Watch your step, big guy," Eddie said authoritatively.

Steve stepped forward, placing his hand on Harper's shoulder and looking around her, "Awe man..." He breathed, "You've gotta be sh*tting me."

"Yeah..." Eddie groaned, looking out at the water, "I thought these woods were familiar."

"Lover's Lake," Harper said with a twinge of annoyance in her voice.

Dustin nodded, "This is confounding."

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max asked.

Nancy nodded, "Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening." She turned to the others, "Maybe Vecna's the same way."

"Yeah... only one way to find out." Steve frowned.

The group glanced over and saw a house sitting near the edge of the water. Next to the shore sat a tarp-covered, small, metal boat. The group pulled the tarp off of it and Eddie and Steve picked up the boat and brought it to the water.

"Easy. I... I said easy, man." Steve groaned as they set the boat down in the water.

Eddie nodded, "Sorry, dude."

Steve held his hand out for the girls to grab.

Robin placed her hands on both Eddie and Steve's heads as she stepped into the boat, "Thank you."

"Yeah, that works too." Steve let out a sigh. Eddie then got in the boat and held his hand out for Harper. She took it and carefully stepped into the boat, only wobbling slightly. Robin and Harper sat down and Nancy was next on the boat.

Eddie helped her in, "Wheeler." He motioned for her to enter the boat.

"Thanks." She said sitting down next to the other girls.

Dustin headed towards the boat before being pushed back by Eddie, "Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us?" Eddie asked, "This thing holds four people tops, okay?" Dustin looked betrayed.

"It's better this way, okay?" Nancy explained, "You guys stay here with Max. We take Harper." She paused, looking around, "Keep an eye out for trouble."

Dustin retorted quickly, "You keep an eye out!" Nancy sent him an annoyed look, "It's my goddamn theory."

Robin spoke up, "You heard Nance."

"Who put her in charge?" Dustin argued.

"I did," Robin explained.

Nancy reached her hand out towards Dustin, "Compass."

Dustin handed the compass over begrudgingly before turning and standing next to the other younger teens, "Hey!" Steve called his attention before sitting a backpack at him, "Here you go." He pushed off the boat while Robin and Eddie rowed. Steve quickly hopped in the boat.

"You said four!" Dustin called after them angrily.

Steve waved to them, "Sorry..."

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos." Harper called out to them before getting flipped off by Dustin, "Miss you already!"