Chapter 25: Wedding

NIKKI POV

CMM Innovation Solutions

When you love, pain and hurt are inevitable. And I never saw myself under this circumstances. I thought I could control my heart and let my head took over my heart but, boy, I was wrong.

Kicking the unwelcome emotions out of my system, a decision had popped up in my head. I will leave my resignation after my work and it's irrevocable. For now, I will welcome the pain of suffering as I accompany Annabel, but to hell with them, If they'll see me breaking apart. I will show them that I'm not affected with their upcoming wedding.

I just hope I can do it.

I'm just done booking some clients when I saw Annabel coming. As usual, she looks fabulous in her Dolce Gabbana dress reaching just above her knee.

She ignored me and just walk past me which I didn't care. I'm glad she didn't bother me. She just walked in right through his office without knocking.

Knowing they are both alone inside made me feel furious. The jealousy was really hitting me hard. Now, this is real. I had to overcome this, to overcome what more to come. It's easy to say than done, but there's nothing that can be done if you're determined to do it. I grew up being so independent. And this little thing, is just a piece of cake.

I don't need love. It will only make you weak.

I smiled bitterly as bitter as my heart. You are fine, Nikki. You are fine. I inwardly consoled myself.

I just had to suffer today. Tomorrow, I'm Alex's free!

The beeping of the phone snaps me out of my trance. I snatch the phone out of the cradle.

"Yes, Sir!" I asked not waiting for his words and put the phone down. I marched in his room.

"Annabel wants you to help her plan the wedding. You don't have to work for a month since the wedding is in a month. Will you be able to do that?" he asked as he glances at me once in a while, impassively. Annabel was standing beside him, her palm resting on his one shoulder.

"I don't think I will be working till then, sir!" I blurted out nonchalantly as I smiled sweetly. I saw his eyes turned colder, with his eyebrows puckering. The crease line on his forehead deepened and it morphs gradually into an exasperated scowl.

"Can you leave us for a second, Annabel?" Alex said in a monotone as he stood up facing Annabel. She looks like she's going to protest but she saw the grim face of Alex. She reluctantly walks to the door leaving me a deathly glare.

When the door closed, he stared at me impassively. It's hard to read his mind, but I stood my ground. It's the only thing left for me.

My ego.

"So you want to throw everything you could get in just a year?" he cocked his eyebrow. His voice is full of sarcasm and mockery.

"Dad and I will leave this country. We don't need to be rich. It seems that he's fine now. You can have the company, your revenge is done. It's over Alex! You won't be seeing us. None of the Rivas because dad will be coming with me to London. You will be at peace as we do." I lied. Although, I've been thinking about it. Moving to London and find a nursing job. Maybe my cousins and aunt could help me. It will be better for all of us.

I thought I saw the hurt in his eyes but then it vanish promptly or I was seeing things differently. He was staring into my eyes deeply. It was emotionless, but I could feel the tension filling the air. I avoided his eyes or I would melt and break apart. I can't cry here. Not in front of him, not even a lone tear.