Chapter 28: Crashing Hearts

"Love will wreck your heart like a derailed train. So choo-choose your partner wisely." ― Jarod Kintz

Please Vote

Comment

And Follow me ...

......................................

ALEX POV

Emergency General Hospital

My eyes blankly scanned the crowd which mostly were unknown to me, sitting in a row, who came to witness our wedding and Annabel. Most of them were Annabel's family and friends.

A few of mine came to support. Jeremy, Frederick, and Nicolas was my best man and Mara was also here as one of the bridesmaids paired by Nicolas.

"Those lifeless eyes doesn't match your bright white tuxedo, bro!" Teased Frederick, chuckling softly. "Chill man, it's your wedding, not a funeral!" I just shot him a disparaging glare and he shut his mouth, shaking his head simultaneously, then he strode off and joined the others in the back waiting to march.

Since morning, I was like a robot following whatever the people telling me to do. Not a single word had been said since I have nothing to say. I just shut it off all that negative emotions fogging my skull and just accept the fact I chose this destiny.

Yes, damn destiny. Fucked-up destiny!

The Presider stood in the middle of the beautifully decorated gazebo in the garden in the midst of the estate of my parents. The wedding planner did an amazing job. Everyone looks so happy while I felt like I'm in a death row where I'm waiting to be executed.

I heard gasped and murmurs and the people quieted when the ceremony began. A sweet melodic music started and all the bridesmaids with their partners march happily with their beautiful tailored suits and gowns.

Then, not long, Annabel in her stunning white princess gown emerge in, marching slowly in my direction.

I heaved a long painful sigh. This is it. The end of my bachelorhood. This is reality and I have to face it. I force a smile on my face when my dad nudges me in the elbow. I don't know how and when he came.

After like a decade, the Presider starts the ceremony and most of the time I was zoned out. The presider has to repeat the question again when I heard Annabel called my name.

"Alexander Maximilian Morrison, will you take Anna.... blah blah.. blah.. till death do you part?" the presider asked. I could feel my back burned with all the eyes shooting into my direction. I could literally hear someone gasping audibly, others holding their breath, and some just leisurely watching the ceremony.

"I-"

"GOD, NO!" I was cut off mid-sentence when I heard a frantic sound and it was Mara, on her feet trembling and I saw Nicolas, like a lightning to the rescue on his wife. "I'm s-sorry, excuse me ..." she shot each one an apologetic look though her face held worries.

The whole crowd was looking at her irritatedly and some with confusion and curiosity, except me, my friends, and my family who doesn't seem to care. I just watch what's going on when Nicolas assisted her trembling wife heading out of the place.

"What happened?" I heard Jeremy asked Nicolas, as they passed by. Even the presider forgot about the ceremony as he stared at Mara who had a blanched face. I thought she was going to have her baby now.

"Nicki was rushed to Emergency General hospital, she just crashed," Nicolas explained briefly.

Nicki is in the hospital. Suddenly, everything sinks in into my blank head and seems like all my motor system switch back on.