ELEVEN

[KNOCKING AT DOOR]

"Good morning Princess!"

[YAWNS]

"Miriam! "
"Is it yet time for breakfast?"

"In an hour my princess."

"I will send the guards to bring the bath immediately... What colour of linen do you wish to wear, Princess?"

[EXHALES SHARPELY]

"Ocean blue will do the trick!"

"Ocean blue it is! I will bring it as soon as possible."

[DOOR CLOSES]

[LADY SULTAN]

"One may say meekness is a woman's pride but this author is far from modesty in the circle of intellects. Her pride lays above her head and no doubt she is indeed virtuous in many ways.

I drift to the news in vogue, the arrival of the lieutenant- commander of the knights in Egypt, A prestigious man in his mid-thirties... The commander's arrival is said to be so soon without notice to the king...

I hope his presence makes the air malleable enough for the Sultan's..."

[CLINKS OF UTENSILS]

"Should I say breakfast today is delicious or luscious, the difference between our local dish and the foreign dish, distinguishes the taste and the preparation of the meal."

"I agree with you, My King" Mother takes another spoonful of garlic sauce to her grilled chicken cheese.

"Is everything alright, dearest? You seem to be quiet these days... "

[KLEOPATRA SIGHS]

"I am fine, I am just tired from the site inspection we have had for three days."

"Yes, Indeed, it's stressful... Rashida, did you have a great time at the site yesterday?"

[RASHIDA CHUCKLES]

"I did, it was so much fun, especially with Mr Baltimore by my side..."

Kleopatra thinks Rashida is too delusional to think Mr Baltimore will have any interest in her but anyway, she doesn't bother herself whether they love or ignite a spark in them. All she wants is to return to the town.

[FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING]

"Your Highness! You have a visitor?" Ahmed bows

"I am not ready for any visitor, Ahmed!"

"Your highness, It is the Lieutenant!" 

My father and my mother look at themselves strangely, indeed, there is something wrong. The Presence of the lieutenant has made them look strange and I will like to know what the reason was.

"Mother! Father! Is everything alright?" I looked at them strangely.

[BOTH CHUCKLE WEIRDLY]

"Oh, nothing... It's just that it has been a long we last saw him"

[BOTH RASHIDA AND KLEOPATRA"OH"]

"My Lord!" An average man in white Pants and Black coats, with dusty riding boots, walked into the dining room. He is light-skinned but he had wrinkles, visible ones, enough to make a lady scram off. 

"Please have your seat Zosar, for you have joined us at perfect timing..." Father said welcoming the strange man in our midst. He took a seat by Rashida's side, I could see the excitement in her... What is it with she and men, such a drama queen?

"Zosar, I believe you remember my first daughter, Rashida, I don't expect you to know Kleopatra, my second daughter, you left for battle when she was born..."

[ZOSAR CLEARS THROAT]

"Oh, yes, I do remember the young princess, but now I see a beautiful daughter you have... It is a pleasure to see you, Miss"

I bow my head to accept his greetings.

"Where is Ramses?" 

"Oh, he is not back from his journeys..."

"He has great taste."

"My king, I have come to discuss the deal, for I cannot stay quiet too long."

This was the second time, Kleopatra and Rashida see their parent look up weirdly. What exactly, does this man hold against them?

"Zosar not now, it can wait later, after breakfast."

"Why do you hide it from your daughters? I believe they know about the deal!"

Now things were getting a bit weird for the princess's liking.

"What deal father!"

"Is nothing serious, Hatsheput, please take the girls back to their rooms?"

My mother stood gesturing for us to stand as our father had Instructed.

"I demand an explanation, Papa! I do not see a reason for us to be kept in the dark when this deal has to do with us." [KLEO GROWL]

HATSHEPSUT SIGH]

"How dare you question your father's command, Kleopatra!"

"She's right!... [SILENCE] They deserve an explanation and I will give it to them immediately."

[TENSE MUSIC PLAYS]

"Kleo, my daughter, please have your seat... Mr Youseef, well, we made a deal twenty-five years ago, that one of my daughters will be betrothed to him!"

[RASHIDA AND KLEO GASPS]

"Mother! Are you aware of that too?" I stare at my mother's face, as she drops her face. 

"We are sorry! We had no choice at that time..."

"Really! And what made you accept that deal so badly?" I asked furiously.

" We dreamed of ruling this kingdom, so our only solution was to make a deal with him because he was close to the king!"

A tear slips from my eyes as the realisation hit me. We were never royalty from the start, we forced our way in, through a deal.

"Princess! Your parents had their reason but that is not the issue at hand! I have come to take my wife, my sultan

[EXHALING SHARPLY]

"My daughter Rashida is eligible of age."  I stare at Rashida, but she doesn't seem to bother with the issue at hand. Is like she wants this, who am I to stop the espousal when she consents?

"I am afraid King Horus, but in the deal, I made it clear that I will marry any daughter of my choice and I have no plan on marrying Rashida."

[GASP]

"Commander, this is a done deal, you cannot wed The second before the first and you know it is forbidden in the law!"

[SOBBING]

I cry as no words seem to come out of my mouth except for the pain and thought of marrying.  Betrothed to a man that is the age of my brother, forced into marriage at this very young age. I run out of the dining room immediately. The intake of this pain is too much and it weighs me down. What is said of my future? A future in agony!

"Kleopatra!" My mother called from behind me.

[LADY SULTAN]

"Agony! Pains! and marriage! The rare jewel feels this way, indeed, a compelled affair is what no lady will wish for or would I say that's a lie.