THIRTY-TWO

2 YEARS LATER.

December 25, 1870.

Thebes, Sultan's Palace.

[LADY SULTAN]

Dear readers, 

"Merry, Christmas and happy new year in advance. If the princess was saddened and aggrieved on that Christmas, she was grieving and angry in spring when word filtered south Egypt but did not reach her ears that the prince had arrived from Europe and had not written to her, largely believed to have journeyed or sailed to England so he could continue with his Royal business. "Was she in love?" This author asked.  But a messenger travels from Ethiopia to Thebes to deliver his message to the princess. A sad one."

[DOOR OPENS]

[FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING]

The messenger went directly to Kleopatra, kneeling before her, he said.

"I bring ill tidings, your grace. The king and queen have been foully wrecked!"

[MAIDS GASP]

"Is this true!" I demanded.

"I fear so, Princess," He said.

"Who has done this?" I cried. "Americans?"

"A storm, your grace" Kleo sat back in tears, she waved him away in utter contempt.  She slammed her chamber door at the tragic news.  

The Princess was Keen to be silent all winter long after the tragic death of her parents, lords and ladies from different countries, close to the king and queen came to comfort and mourn with the Princesses.  I greeted the ladies and lords, Rashida and I both wearing black.

"I am sorry for the loss of your Parents, Duchess Rashida and princess Kleopatra," The Lady of Newcastle said. Rashida embraced me in return, she looked older than how she was the last time I had seen her.
     I looked out the window and hoped that life would lighten soon like the dawn. I wondered about my parents, I wondered if Rashida was still in grief. I turned from that thought, as it pained me. 

"Princess, your Bathe is ready." Miriam touched me drawing me from my thoughts. She noticed my silence and my tremble in the months the death of my parents was announced. She'd been serving me for many years and we'd grown close, so close like sisters and best friends. 

"Thank you, Miriam," I said, taking off my sleeved dress and stepping into the bath.

"Was your day stressful Princess?" She asked I nodded. After scrubbing my body and drying it, I stepped out of the bath.

Miriam said as she helped me into my nightgown. "You look so thin and malnourished, I do not want to lose you, please try to eat more."  I looked at her. "[SIGHS] Since the death of my parents I haven't thought about my health, Miriam, [INHALES] I will try." She smiles before tucking me to bed.

[LADY SULTAN]

          "Just after Two years, Princess Kleopatra, who had been unwell grew fainter and more ill. She was confined to her bed and her sister visited her daily, often. The Princess Ailment was caused due to the trauma the years had brought. The death of her parents, the prince rejecting their friendship publicly, All made her drained."
       The artisan, Eliott Bernard, was painting a set of portrait panels for the princess. The princess sat to have her face painted. For the first portrait, she was dressed in a rich black gown with the finest embroidery. It was laced with diamonds and puffs of burgundy roses. About her neck, she wore her mother's jewelled flower choker and pinned to her gown was a brooch feather designed. A few hours later, among the tang of linseed oil and buttery smears of paint, the Artisan left. "